Chapter 16

Naruto's POV

"S-Sasuke?" I looked at him as he crushed a stone with his bare hands.

"Let go of him." He glared at the guy.

He put Konohamaru down and Konohamaru said,"Why aren't you as cool as him?" He pouted.

"Well.." I scratched my head sheepishly and glared at Sasuke. Always stealing my time to shine! Teme!

"Another one, eh?" As he unwraps the thing on his back, a voice interrupted his actions.

"Enough, Kankuro." The voice made Kankuro freeze and gulped.

"G-Gaara" He said sheepishly.

What? How? I didn't sense him at all! Sasuke thought.

Sakura's POV

As I walked, I sensed a huge amount of chakra nearby. When I took a look, I saw Naruto standing with 3 kids, Sasuke sitting on a branch and Sand ninjas. One of them are.. Gaara? I transported myself sitting on the branch Gaara was standing on. Well, he was actually standing upside down.

"Don't make trouble in our village before I fight you." I glared at them.

My appearance seemed to stun everyone. I swung on the branch and dropped gracefully on my feet in front of Naruto, back facing him. Gaara too appeared in front of me, facing me.

"It's been a while and I see you are still keeping that necklace I gave you." I said and smiled at him.

"Yeah. It gives me memories." He gave me a small smile then became serious again. "I apologise for any trouble my teammates have caused you."

"No problem. I assume you are here for the Chunnin exams, correct?"

"Yes." He answered.

"Alright, I'll see you then" I smiled and see him walk away.

Sasuke jumped next to me and asked,"You know that guy?"

I replied,"Yes. We met when I was with Zabuza for a mission"

"Hn."

"Sakura-chan! You were so cool!" Naruto said.

"What? I didn't do anything" I sighed. "Come on, I'm starving" I said and pulled them with me. I looked back to the kids and said,"You can come too."

They squealed and obliged.

As I walked, I thought about my encounter with Gaara.

~FLASHBACK~

Tou-san left me at a park when he and Haku proceed with their mission. He said I was a nuisance and will only hold them back. I was in Sunagakure. I sat on a swing and looked at the Sun. It's rare to see a Sun in my village, so I enjoyed it while I can.

Suddenly, a group of kids came and walked over to me.

"Get out of this place. This is our swing, you freak!" A guy said while poking my forehead.

"B-But youw names awen't witten on this s-swing" I tried to fight back.

"You dare to talk back, huh? I guess we have to use force then." They said and pushed me to the ground. "You forehead freak! Who has pink hair? You freak! Go and die! I'm sure nobody wants you! Even your family abandoned you! See? You are alone here! You freak!" As they said that, I cried.

"Stay away." A voice said. When I looked, I saw sands forming a barrier as if protecting me. My saviour have red hair and a gourd behind him.

"Oh look! Another freak! A monster! Run!!" The same guy said and ran away with his friends.

He reached out his hand and I grabbed it. "T-Thank yew" I said shyly.

"No problem." He said.

"What's youw name?" I asked.

"Gaara."

"My name is Sakuwa Momochi. Nice to meet yew!" I smiled brightly.

He looked at me weirdly and said,"Why aren't you running away from me? I'm a monster"

I looked at him and spoke,"Why should I? If yew awe a monstew, yew would have attacked me by now. Not only you did not ham me, you saved me."

He stared at me as if I have grown two heads or something. After a moment, he gave me a small smile. "Thank you."

"No need to thank me! We are fwends! I should thank you fow saving me!" I grinned.

"Then you don't have to thank me too. We are friends. " He smiled.

"Yeah!" I nodded.

We played at the park and talked until nightfall.

"Sakura!" Tou-san called.

"Coming!" I answered.

I turned to Gaara and said,"It was nice meeting yew! But I have to go now. I'll meet you again, someday" I smiled.

"Alright, goodbye" He smiled sadly.

I unclasped my necklace and put it around his neck. It is a simple necklace made out of thin chains and a crystal shaped ice.

"Wemembew me!" I said.

He nodded cheerfully and said,"Thank you! Don't forget me too!" He made a figure of both of us holding hands laughing by his sand and gave it to me.

"Don't thank me, we are fwends wemembew?" I grinned.

"Yeah!" He replied happily.

"Bye!!" I waved and ran to my father.

"Bye!" He yelled back and waved.

~FLASHBACK ENDED~

I wonder if you know that I'm still keeping the sand figure you gave me.. I chuckled and saw both Naruto and Sasuke gave me a questioning look. I waved my hand and shrugged it off.

We certainly met again..Gaara.

Published: December 2014
Edited: 12 January 2017