Chapter 49

It had been a week since that incident with my mother. I met her a couple of times on the street, but we did not talk– I avoided a conversation to be precise. Just a simple smile as a greeting. I do not hold grudges, but that memory can never be erased. It still haunts me, but it doesn't effect me as much as before. There is only one thing that bothered me. I know I inherited Tou-san's chakra, but I didn't know I even inherited the Demon Shroud until dad told me. No wonder I felt like killing and craved for blood.

Gaara and his team are still here, but we didn't talk about our kiss. We never mentioned it. It was awkward when I see him, but I tried to act normal. I don't want any suspicions. God knows how dad will react. Just the thought makes me shiver.

"Sakura!" A voice called.

I turned and saw Kurenai and Asuma.

"Kurenai-san!" I smiled.

"I'm coming over at 6pm as usual to prepare you for the Cherry Blossom festival." She grinned.

"Cherry Blossom festival is today?" A familiar voice said.

"Temari! Want to come?" I asked.

"Yeah, sure. We don't celebrate these kind of festivals in Suna." Temari said. "But..I don't have a kimono to wear."

"Don't worry, I'll settle all that. Come to Sakura's house at 6pm and we can all prepare together!" Kurenai said excitedly.

"Oh, alright! I will drag the other two along if you won't mind." Temari said.

"Asuma, settle the guys" Kurenai ordered.

"Ah..Alright.." Asuma said lazily.

"Okay then, I'll show you my house." I said and pulled Temari alone.

On our way, Temari broke the silence between us.

"So.. What is going on between you and Gaara?" She asked. I blushed with my eyes opened wide.

"N-Nothing! Why did you ask??"

She looked at me curiously and shrugged it off. "After our last mission, both of you started to act weird."

I was silent.

"I have never seen Gaara to care about a person before and it's really a miracle that you could control him despite that beast in him. Plus, after that incident, he changed. From a cold blooded murderer, he actually became a real human that doesn't show his emotion. Well, some can see those emotions in his eyes." She sneaked a glance at me and sighed.

"By seeing both of your eyes, I can tell that both of you like each other." She said.

"I don't know.. I don't know if I like him.. I mean.. We didn't talk that much, so how did I fall for him? And.. Quite some time ago, I watched my lover die in front of my eyes, on my feet." I said softly.

Temari put an arm on my shoulders and squeezed my reassuringly. I smiled at her and she smiled back.

"So.. How are you and Shikamaru?" I smirked. It was her turn to blush now.

"W-W-What are you t-talking about??" She stuttered.

"You know what I mean." I cocked my eyebrow and elbowed her side teasingly. She blushed crimson red and ignored my statement.

I showed her my house and asked if she knows how to come here. She nodded and went back to her inn. I mentally wished her luck to drag Gaara here.

~6PM EVENING~

Knock! Knock!

"They are here!" I squealed and open the door to reveal the three ninjas from Suna. "Welcome!"

I stepped aside to let them in.

"Thank you for having us here." Temari said.

"Alright, girls come to Sakura's room!" Kurenai exclaimed happily. I pulled Temari's hand to my room.

"Well boys, your clothes are here. Keep it." Asuma said to Gaara and Kankuro. Daddy shrugged and walked to his room.

This year is going to be different. I thought with a smile.

Published: December 2014
Edited: 27 January 2017