Part 39: I'll Give You One More Time

A/N: This part is hella short but I'm already working on part 40!! It's going to be a big one and you're all going to love it, so hopefully you forgive me!!!!

Thanks so much for 25K reads by the way, I can't believe so many of you have stuck with the story, you make my day!!!!! I hope you like this one!!

Maddie :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karlie

            I stood in front of my tiny bedroom mirror that was hanging way too low for me. Over the years I had grown by a lot, and the mirror was still set up at the height I was in grade school. Crouching down, I fixed my hair and parted my bangs how I always did. I stepped back for a final look at my outfit. I noted how cute it had turned out: I decided on a black shirt that said “Arctic Monkeys” in flowing white print. Although it was October, a warm front had cranked the temperature up in St. Louis, so I had on a pair of white high-waisted denim shorts.

            Taylor and I were going for coffee today, and to say that I was nervous would be an understatement. I was worried that things would be awkward between us. I still wanted her in my life so badly but I still wasn’t sure if we could go back to being friends. I let out a deep sigh and checked my phone. Scrolling through the messages, I noticed that Taylor had texted me.

* Hey. We’re meeting at that little café on Main & 2nd, right? *

            I quickly typed a short ‘Yes’ with a few smiley face emojis. Gathering my things, I walked downstairs and slipped on a pair of black boots. Then, I hopped into my parent’s Range Rover and headed for the coffee shop. It was only a few minutes away, and I pulled over and parked on the busy street. I spotted Taylor instantly, sitting on the patio with a pair of headphones in her ear. She was daydreaming, and she hadn’t noticed me walking across the street towards her yet. My eyes trailed down her body, and I took in her black skinny jeans with a black long-sleeve shirt. I unknowingly licked my lips at the sight of it all; Black was definitely her colour.

            As I grew closer to her I felt my mouth dry out and my heart started to flutter—I was praying that this wouldn’t turn awkward. I began thinking of topics that we could discuss, until I heard someone call out to me.

“Do you like what you see, Kloss? You know I saw you licking your lips back there, right?” She said with a wink. Her sarcastic tone cut me out of my daze and I felt my cheeks ignite. I didn’t even want to imagine how red I had just turned.

“No, I—I just thought—It’s a cute outfit.” I stammered, making a complete fool of myself. This was definitely a mistake, why did I think that I was able to go through with this?

“Relax, you don’t have to freak out,” Taylor chimed, sensing my discomfort. “Your outfit is cute too, by the way.” She smiled softly as she pulled out the other chair for me. I took my seat, and placed my bag on the ground beside me.

“Thank you,” I replied, just above a whisper. “Um, so how’s your new album coming?” I asked nervously.

“It’s going great!” Taylor exclaimed, talking with her hands. “There’s a little more than a week left until the release, and all the fans are going insane. I wish I could put it out right now.” She gushed. The way her crystal blue eyes shimmered when she got excited always melted my heart. I missed seeing that face, and I missed being the cause of it.

“That’s incredible, Taylor,” I replied shyly. “If the rest of the album is only half as good as the songs you showed me, then it’s going to be a chart topper for sure.” I added, taking a sip of my coffee.

“Thanks so much Karlie, it means a lot to hear you say that.” She spoke softly and gently rested her hand on top of mine. I pulled away instinctively and a look of disappointment flashed across her face.

“I’m sorry Taylor,” I stuttered. “I just—“

“No, it’s alright,” She said, cutting me off. “I shouldn’t have done that, I don’t know what I was thinking. Force of habit, I guess.” She turned her head to the street beside us and blinked hard. I knew she was trying not to let her eyes water. Not knowing what to say, I raised the coffee cup to my lips and took another sip.

“Um, so when are you planning on heading back to New York?” I asked suddenly, not allowing the silence to settle in. Her eyes turned back to me while she twirled a stir stick between her fingers.

“Probably tomorrow morning,” She said glumly. “What about you?”

I’m not too sure, but I was thinking some time in the next few days. I can’t avoid the real world for forever.” I joked. Taylor giggled and nodded her head in agreement.

“Yeah, me too,” She answered. Taylor started to put her wallet back in her bag, and looked up at me. “I should get going, I have some things to pack up back at my hotel.” She stood up and smiled at me. I felt a small tinge of disappoint rise in my chest. Talking to her again made me feel whole, ad I didn’t want her to leave just yet. It was as if everything that had been missing in my life for the last two months had been returned to me, and I wasn’t ready to let that go.

“Well, do you need any help with that?” I blurted out. “I don’t have any other plans today, so I can go with you, if you want.” I squeezed my hands together, hoping that she would agree. I shot her a anticipative glance, but she delicately shook her head.

“It’s okay, you don’t have to.” Her eyes fell to the floor and she shifted her feet.

“I know, but I want to.” I said. My voice had a hint of desperation in it, but I didn’t care. I wanted to spend more time with her.

“Karlie, you’re the one who wanted to take things slow, remember?” She reminded me softly. I let out a small sigh; I had said that, but hanging out with Taylor made me forget about all of that. I couldn’t just let her back into my life, and now she knew it too.

“You’re right,” I agreed. “I’ll let you know when I’m back in New York, and we’ll do something, okay?” I suggested.

“Of course,” She said. “Sounds perfect. I guess I’ll see you in a few days then.” She scrunched up her nose and turned to walk away.

“Bye Tay!” I called when she had gotten a few feet from me. Taylor spun on her heels and looked back at me with a knowing grin.

“Bye Karls.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you like it? Let me know! :)