chap 4: balls are simple affairs

Eyes on the mirror, I observe the golden dress that hugs every curve of my body, perfectly showing off every single asset I have. My green eyes shine in the dull light and the coat of mascara I've applied makes my eyes more vivid, widening them. I slowly gloss my lips again, observing the way they curve downwards. I can feel a stare of the side of my head, but I refuse to look, staring at myself as I place the lipgloss back in the clutch, slamming it shut.

"You look good" A smooth voice says from behind me, and I raise an eyebrow at these words, turning around. A smile dots across my face as I spot Muhammad, my childhood friend. Blair's older brother. Unlike Blair, he is much easier to deal with. My blood boils in thought of her name. My cheek is still bruised- it had taken hours to cover it up properly with makeup.

I raise an single eyebrow, "Thank you" I say with a small smile as I turn back towards the mirror, making sure that I haven't smudged my makeup. I put it back in my purse, smiling. If I have to please my father once a year, so be it, but I will not embarrass him by not looking my absolute best. I'm glad I choose this dress. I had debated between this a blue piece, but it was clear this was the perfect fit. It doesn't reveal too much skin, and it enunciates my body.

Muhammad has been in college for a couple of years now, but he was never the perfect child. The model child that his parents so desperately wanted, "How have you been? How's your boyfriend, what was his name, Parker?" He asks conversationally, and I cock my head lightly. I don't know how to tell him this.

I mull over my words in my head, "He was cheating on me with Blair" I point-blank answer, and I hold my clutch by my side patiently. I don't know if I can put up with more questions about this. I'm polite, but to an extent. He doesn't seem surprised. Judging by his expression, he already knew. I don't care, but I wonder why he even bothered to ask. But I don't hate him for it. Blair is his sister. Of course he knew.

 I take time to admire his features. His suit is filled out perfectly. His eyes are the same yellowed-amber that they've always been, and his features are sculpted well. A prominent nose, pretty lips.

Muhammad's lips curve, "I didn't think Blair had it in her," He says, and I raise an eyebrow so he backtracks to explain "I mean, she's been obsessed with Parker for quite a while now. I just never thought she would act on it. I thought she cared about you enough to put you first to Parker" She feels a slight sting at this words, recoiling.

I blink, choosing to ignore his last words, refusing to take them to heart and get to me, "You knew," I reply without hesitation "I'm not faulting you for siding with her- but I'm absolutely faulting you for bothering to ask when you know it's a sore spot" 

He sighs, smiling "Yes, I knew" His gaze is sympathetic. I ignore it "I'm sorry"

I want answers. So I swallow my fucking pride.

I force myself to get over it, "I didn't actually see any of the signs. Should it have been more obvious to me?" I ask, and he nods, and I chuckle at myself. I'd been so obsessed with myself, I'd assumed that nothing was happening. I hadn't seen what everyone else had apparently been able to see. Even though her brother spent less time around her than I ever did.

I run a hand through my lightly curled hair, "I guess I've paid for ignorance" I murmur, and his eyes widen as he immediately opens his mouth to respond. We're interrupted by his father and mother, who are hand in hand, smiling. Beside them is their darling daughter, Blair. She's dressed in a gorgeous white piece, which drapes over her body perfectly, and her hair is up in a gorgeous bun which only she seems to be able to pull off. Her eyes meet mine, and she looks away instantly.