chap 45: thank you for this

She is woken up by someone shaking her roughly, and then, pulling her out of the car, forcing her to her feet

 She is woken up by someone shaking her roughly, and then, pulling her out of the car, forcing her to her feet. She blinks for a few seconds, taking in the California coastline, her eyes widening. The sight before her is indescribable. She has lived in California all her life, and she has been all around it, yet it never fails to surprise her. It's gorgeous. The blue sea stretches forever, onto the horizon, and it keeps going. It is mixed with green, and the sky is dimming. She hadn't realized time had passed so fast. As soon as Axel and her had hit the highway, they had encountered heavy traffic. She knew this one day trip was going to be longer, but she found she liked that. His company was refreshing.

 He has no problems with insulting her, and he doesn't scare away from her. At all. He meets her personality head on. The perfect friend, even. "Where are we?" She sleepily asks, wiping her eyes slightly in an attempt to wake herself up more. She adjusts the shorts she had bought in a vintage store they had seen along the way.  She's comfortable around him and doesn't care about the skin she shows. He doesn't care about her skin in the slightest. She adjusts her fitted top, which clings to her ribs, ending near her bellybutton. The sleeves are full, and this outfit is comfier than what she had previously worn.

"Half Moon Bay. Only 25 miles away" He replies after a few seconds, his own gorgeous eyes focused on the view. She stares around them. A few feet away is a gorgeous castle like estate. A hotel. She's been here before. She remembers when she was younger and they came to stay at the Ritz-Carlton. Her mother had urged her to play in the water with her family's associates, but she had refused, instead, sitting near the bonfire, staring out at the ocean in silence. She must have sat in the same position for hours. 

"My parents brought me here when I was younger," She says, and she knows he doesn't care, but she continues, "We stayed in the bottom row of the hotel. It was one of the best trips of my life"

"Really?" He questions, and he seems genuinely curious. He isn't mocking her, isn't making fun of her. He means it. She doesn't have many relevant conversations nowadays. Everything is focused on her pain.

 She smiles, "Yeah. I stared out at the sea for hours. I could do that again, no doubt"

"Isn't it amazing? Just thinking about it. All the space, all the creatures, and what is beyond it" He explains, and his voice is filled with enthusiasm. She finds it endearing, and she smiles, placing a hand on the railing as she approaches him, "When I was younger, I wanted to be a marine biologist"

"It's amazing. And younger? Not anymore?" She asks.

He tilts his head towards her, smiling widely, "Now I just want to be rich"

 "Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner," She jokingly responds. "I'm hungry as fuck. When are you planning on feeding me?" She adds. He rolls his eyes.

 "I know this place, about 15 minutes from here. It serves the best sandwiches and Mac'N'Cheese I have ever had. I'm game if you are. I'm always game for food"