chap 44: easy escape.

The silence between them in the car is deafening

The silence between them in the car is deafening. It fills the air with tension. Her quiet sobs fill the air as she presses her head against the warm window, her lips drawn into a straight line. She always does this. Pushes away people who care about her. But she reminds herself that using Lena wasn't for a friendship. It was because she had a goal to complete. Besides, Lena can do better then her.

 But she'll miss Lena. She will. She wipes the tears from her face, facing Axel, who is still driving in silence. This is not the Axel she wanted. She wants the Axel that fights people because he can. The Axel that is as angry, as bitter as her. Because she does not want sympathy. And she does not want this Axel, the one that puts up a front, is polite, and treats her like she is a queen.

She prefers the other version of him. "You know," She says, wiping the last tear from her cheek, flashing him a look before she continues "I hate people who are pretentious. People who act differently in front of others. Don't you hate that too?" Her voice is razor sharp.

"Princess," He drawls, keeping his voice low as he turns another street, his hands gripping the steering wheel tighter as he says this "Please, wipe your face. You look like a clown" He finishes, and she cannot stop the chuckle that leaves her lips.

"I didn't mean for you to be rude to me," She reprimands, but she gratefully accepts the napkin that he holds, pressing it to her face, wiping off all hints of makeup "Maybe I preferred the other version of Axel," She jokes, but when she notices his hand grip the steering wheel, she wants to take back her words. She doesn't want to isolate him from her. She is tired of tearing people away. She needs one person, anyone, to lean on.

He playfully grins as he looks back at her, his black eyes shining with an emotion she cannot decipher, his black hair tousled slightly, falling against his forehead. "What exactly have you heard about me?" He curiously asks, and she rolls her eyes. Of course. This is the part where he likely tries to defend himself. She doesn't care who he is. He puts up with her, even when he knows she's fucked up beyond explanation.

She'll do the same, no matter what he has done. "That you fractured a girl's arm," She casually starts, reaching into her purse, pulling out something and spraying the car slightly. He grimaces at the smell, but he doesn't say anything, allowing her to continue "And that you get into fights, constantly. And the fact that you went to reform"

He almost flinches as she says reform, and she can barely stop her next words. She has no filter.

"And you didn't like reform, apparently" She adds, watching him glare slightly out of the corner of his eye.

 He turns onto another road, "I'm just never going back to reform," He confirms, making it clear reform is a touchy topic. She won't press. She's just like this, touchy on specific issues that she has a hard time speaking about. "It's a fucked up place. You think you are tough but all of a sudden you have nothing left"