chap 55: excuses and apologies

She had spent her entire weekend mentally preparing herself for this

 She had spent her entire weekend mentally preparing herself for this. But here, right in front of him, his blue eyes piercing into hers, she feels herself breaking down, falling apart. This is all she has wanted for months, but she can't just let him in. She remembers Ryder, forcing her to do something mostly against her will and forcing her to that party. She hates him. The only person in the world she has ever feared is back in Greece, hundreds of miles away from her. God, she's glad for that. The main problem is how similar Ryder is to her.

 The fact that he knows exactly what her next move will be because he thinks the exact same. The one thing Alexis fears in the entire world is meeting her match, and Ryder, for a fact, is her match. Manipulative, blood-thirsty, intelligent, just like her. "Why?" The lone word leaves her lips, and Adonis cocks his head, his gorgeous eyes settling on hers, a smile playing on his handsome lips. She's missed kissing them, pressing her own lips to them, staring at them, for hours at end.

"I know how I treated you," He starts, and she cuts him off suspiciously, raising an eyebrow.

  Her voice is harsh, "The last thing I remember is you slicing your hand across your throat, which if I'm correct, which I usually am, means you wanted me dead. And you come back here and tell you that you miss me?" She accuses, pointing at him furiously. Her questions seem to be getting the better of her, and she cannot stop herself anymore "You don't get to do that"

"Let's be clear here," He says, his voice growing louder as he steps beside her, her lips lilting as she smiles up at him slightly, a small smile. He isn't smiling, a scowl on his lips" You made the mistake here. I am not at fault" That jolts her back into reality. Right back into her fucking place. She sits against the desk, a small smile on her lips. He's right. She doesn't get to be rude- condescending.

 She steps back, "Right. I'm sorry" She apologizes, and she hates the power he holds over her. He could ask her to do anything, and she would, without second thought. It's a deadly power he holds, and she has to be wary.

"I get that you have questions," He slowly ventures, keeping his tone even "But don't forget your place Alexis. You have no right to be upset at me for anything"

She takes a deep breathe before continuing.

"Okay, how did you find me?"

"That was easy. I found your father's office, and I assumed you would live somewhere here," He replies quickly, and she stares into his eyes, analyzing him. He is not lying. He would not have been able to formulate a lie so fast, so quickly "And then I narrowed down the schools, and I found out Blair Khan goes here, so I assumed you did too"

"Why did you come back?" She asks, and this time, her voice breaks as she wipes the tears in her eyes with the back of her hand, staring at him sullenly. Her lips are drawn into a thin line, her eyes flitting back and forth between him and the door.

 His voice cracks, "I missed you. Alexis, I swear, I tried. I tried to forget you. I tried to get you out of my mind. I tried to stop thinking about you. I spent hours, no, days, banishing you from my mind. I tried to tell myself that you weren't worth it," and he flashes her an apologetic look before continuing "I couldn't. I got into university here, in LA. UCLA actually, and I thought, maybe, if I was coming down here, I'd try to talk to you. Alexis, I know what I said. And I know I can't take that back. But I miss you. I miss your body against mine, I miss spending nights at the beach with you," He sighs, his pretty eyes meeting hers, and she sees that he isn't lying. She's talented at recognizing lies, and she always has been.