chap 47: san francisco

The golden gate bridge is as pretty as she remembered

The golden gate bridge is as pretty as she remembered. It is large, humongous, stretching out in front of them for miles. The color is red, ironically contrasting with the name. She briefly remembers learning about it in history, but everything has slipped her mind. School is irrelevant. She hardly remembers anything she has learned in it.

 Her phone rings as the light in the sky dims slightly. The sun is setting now, pink and blue hues dotting the skies. "Alexis Rhodes," The voice blares through the phone as she picks up, and Axel turns towards her, a smile on his lips "Where the fuck are you?"

"Mother," She greets politely, keeping her tone even as she turns her on speaker "I'm in San Francisco. I'll be back tomorrow"

 A scoff on the end, "You will come right this instant, Alexis, your father and I have been worried sick about you. We've searched everywhere- we even went to your school. Please, come back" She pleads, and her tone is desperate. Alexis wants to laugh, but she knows that will only make things worse.

 She swallows her laugh "No. It's dangerous to drive back at night, I'll be home tomorrow" She hits back calmly, and she turns off the phone, not allowing her mother to speak any longer. Axel shoots her a little grin. "Where are we meeting him?" Alexis asks, a small grin on her face, and Axel swerves the car, leading to her pressed against the side, grimacing at the pain that runs up the side of her torso.

  He turns onto the busy roads of San Francisco "A restaurant. Quince or something. Some fancy Italian restaurants. I forgot to mention to him you were coming" He adds, and by his tone, it is clear he did not forget. He purposely left it out. Allowing Alexis the perfect element of surprise. She knows exactly how she will use that element.

"Delightful" She cheerfully comments, picking up her phone from her pocket. A few texts from Lena, begging her to think twice, one from Eric, warning her to watch out. She ignores this text. She doesn't care. One from Ophelia. She tilts her head in surprise at this. The message is brief and short. An apology. Oh my. Ophelia, forgiving her? She doesn't know where this change of heart has come from. Her fingers rest on the keyboard, but she has no idea what to type. She has no idea what to even say.

  Ophelia chose Adonis. But still, Alexis misses her. She rests the phone down, clicking to turn it off, her now light blue nails glinting. She changes her nail colors far too often. "Who was that?" Axel asks, and she doesn't know what to say. How to describe Ophelia. How do you describe someone who is everything but doesn't chose you? Ophelia and her were like peas in a pod. They understand each other.

"Someone from my past"

"Mysterious" He sighs shrugging as we entered the Golden Gate Bridge, passing the toll. Joggers line both sides of the bridge, as well as people, walking casually, talking and chatting with others.

 She laughs, "What can I say?" She playfully responds, her tone full of amusement "I'm a woman of many wonders" His look is enough of a response, and she stares out the window again. San Francisco is gorgeous. The skyscrapers rise in the sky, stretching towards the horizon. A sign of human achievement. She was supposed to be up in one of those towers. Her name was supposed to be on the lips of millions of people all over the world.