chap 6: simple club nights

As as I lift my head from the sheets, I hiss in pain. My cheek burns from the bruise that Blair's slap has left on it. I'd slept on the wrong side in my drunken stupor, unable to properly position myself. I force myself up, sitting straight as I turn to look in the mirror. It's still purple, and bright as day. As visible as it was the day before. I murmur a cuss under my breathe. I'm used to hangovers, used to the pounding pain- a side-effect of being a part of the Royals and attending every possible party I can. I slide open the drawer beside my bed, and grabbing blindly, I finally pick up what I think is the Advil Bottle. I unscrew the lid, place three in my hand, and swallow. I know I've taken too much, but it can't be that bad. I do it often. Taking more then necessary to push the pain away sooner.

I grab the bottle of water beside my bed, chugging it. I stare at my reflection. I'm not covering up my bruise with makeup today. I don't care if people see. Adonis won't bother pressing- he knows I tell him when I want.

My phone dings, and I stare at the notification. My eyes blur slightly until I focus them, forcing myself to calm down.

It's Ophelia. Ophelia is one of Adonis's friends, and I get along with her far more then I get along with my own friends. She's similar to me in a few ways, but she's kinder too. I admire her. She has an elegance about her.

Meet me at the harbor at 10

I stare at the time. It's 8 pm. I'd slept through the entire day. I suppose that's what I get for returning in the wee hours of the morning. I'm exhausted, even after my slumber.

I reply, agreeing to meet her, and then I force myself out of bed. My headache is already better, and the pain is slowly fading away. It still hurts. Pain is a powerful thing, but year after year, you learn to deal with it better. You learn how to push it aside and focus on other things. If you drink enough, the pain from last night disappears. You can call it a cycle, but I call it effective.

I strip, showering in the coldest possible water to wake myself up. As soon as I'm done, I choose a simple dress. It's a red slinky dress that sticks to my skin perfectly. I take a deep breathe as I stare in the mirror, observing the bruise. I decide to mask it. It's easier then allowing people to ask questions. I mask it carefully, taking my time and the makeup I have learned to perfect to hide bruise after bruise in boxing.

As soon as I've walked downstairs, I see Blair, sitting on the couch calmly, watching something. She's lost in her own world. She doesn't even seem to notice my presence. Her gaze isn't even focused on the screen- she's staring off into space. Her thoughts must be suffocating her. Turning her around in circles, forcing through all the possibilities.

I look at the fridge, and my stomach grumbles. I realize that I'm hungrier then I had known. I open the fridge, ruffling through it. I spot what I want almost instantly. I slam the fridge closed, catching Blair's attention. I don't wait for whatever she's about to say. Instead, I grab my drink and head out the door.

The air is warm, as always, and I stare across the beach. The bonfire currently going is wafting smoke up in the air. I can smell it from here. I cover my eyes- they already sting from the smoke wafting towards the house. I hate fires. Ever since I was a child, I've refused to purposely set one. I'm good at pretending nothing bothers me, but in front of my father, I don't lie. He knows my fear for fire, and because of that, he tries to shield me from it.

I step past them slowly, taking small steps as I feel the warm beach sand under my feet. If they hadn't come, things would still be perfect. Simple. The way I like them now. The warm air blows on my face as I finally pass the fire. I wince, but don't say a word.