chap 43: choose.

She rises beside an unfamiliar figure, blinking slowly

She rises beside an unfamiliar figure, blinking slowly. Lena, who meets her gaze with a soft smile. Something is wrong. She freezes, blinking a few more times. Lena hands her an Advil and a glass of water, watching her intently as she sips on the water. Something about Lena's expression, carefully guarded, is ringing alarm bells inside of her.

 Alexis stretches her muscles, "I'm starving," Alexis admits, rising from the bed. Her feet touch the soft floor slowly as she adjusts her dress. It is the same one she was wearing last night. She slowly moves through her closet, shuffling through it. She is still adjusting to the light, but for some reason, her body does not feel entirely battered.

"Me too" Lena replies, and Alexis is unnerved by how eerily calm her tone is. Something is wrong, and she figures, sooner or later, she'll know exactly what. So she slips into her bathroom, changing her clothes slowly. Her phone is on her bathroom sink. She did not leave it there. She keeps it with her at all times.

She remembers leaving it in her clutch. Alexis sighs, pressing her head against the marble. She could obviously live by herself, but it is easier with someone by your side. It's easier with someone to remind you to keep going. Much easier. And she has just fucked up the last relationship she had. She wipes her face, removing every single bit of makeup. It's okay. She's used to this. She's too fucking used to people leaving her.

 She slips into a new outfit, jeans and a simple cropped top. She fixes her hair before opening the door to Lena's blank expression. She's ready for this. She pauses for a second before she speaks, her eyes blazing. "I'm so stupid," Lena says seconds later, running her hand through her hair wildly, her words harsh "I believed you when you told me it wasn't you. I believed you when you said you had no idea about Duke. You promised Alexis, you promised me. You fucking lied. I thought we were friends. But this was never going to end with Duke, was it?"

  Alexis's eyes glaze over, blazing furiously, "They took everything from me. Adonis, my future. I have nothing left," She pathetically says, her voice growing sharper "You have no idea how it feels to have nothing left" Her voice is cold, so cold that shivers run up her spine as she breathes in and out, glaring venomously at Lena.

 Lena is sadly smiling at her and these words, her lips turning downwards as she watches Alexis's expression of cool indifference. She is not going to beg her to stay. Alexis didn't even beg Adonis. She will never beg. Ever. "How does this make you any better then them?" She asks, a tight smile on her lips as she questions Alexis, who raises an eyebrow delicately. She's never once said she wants to be better. She wants to pummel them into pulp under her fucking hands.

"I don't remember ever saying that I was better than them," Alexis snaps, not even bothering to keep her tone low. Her parents must be gone by now anyways. They'll be at work, ignoring how fucked up their daughter is. How messed up she is. How beyond control she is  "I will do whatever the fuck I want until I get what I want. Nothing is going to stop me. You either join me, or you leave. You choose"