chap 49: i care about you

She awakens to the smell of coffee

She awakens to the smell of coffee. She lifts her head slightly, turning on both sides to find she is engulfed in white comforters, completely covering her petite body. The view from the room is spectacular. She can see the golden hues of the sky, rising slowly.

She sits up, crossing her feet as she stares out at it in silence. Last night- it had torn her apart. Alex had given her the closure she needed, yet, she still can't seem to move on. And now, it's set in stone. Vengeance is her only option- the only possible option at all. Before, she had debated it. She had attempted to move on, and that had gotten her absolutely nowhere.

All she had left was her vengeance. Oh god, it claws at her insides, slowly tearing her apart, eating her alive. She needs out. She has to complete this. She has to see it through. It's the only possible option she even has left.

Axel is beside her now, frowning at her. "You had a panic attack Rhodes, that's serious" He murmurs, passing her the coffee that she had been smelling. She nurses the warm coffee in her hands, ignoring his words. She doesn't want to think about that pathetic breakdown.

"C'mon Rhodes, you can talk to me" He urges, and he sounds genuine. As if he really wants to help her. But she doesn't know what he could possibly say that could make her feel better.

 She forces herself to speak, "Alex basically, he said sorry- multiple times," She confesses, pausing in the middle of her statement to think, gather her thoughts. They seem to be everywhere, flying in and out of her head "He told me I should move on, if not for his sake, for mine"

Axel's body relaxes "Good, I was this close to throwing hands"

 She pauses, surveying him, "You would do that for me?" She asks, sipping the coffee, the warm scalding feeling on her tongue making her feel slightly better. It's a sweet coffee and the perfect amount of warm.

"Rhodes, I don't know if you see it, but you and I are alike," Axel admits, running his hand through his hair. She didn't know it was possible for him to look better, but with his morning bed-head, he does "And I'm here for you just as you are here for me"

 She purses her lips, "I hope you know that his apology still meant nothing to me," Alexis replies, placing the mug down on the nightstand, not able to meet his gaze, and when Axel narrows his eyes, she knows she isn't going to like what he has to say next.

"Why not? Reform helped me realize one simple thing. Holding onto your anger in that place- it does nothing but tear you apart. See, I'm not saying you should let go of all your anger, I just think you should forgive Alex- you should move on"

She snorts, bitterly glaring at him "It's not that fucking easy, Axel, and if it was, I'd have done it by now" He doesn't get that her anger is all she has left. The only thing she has, holding her together, keeping her partially sane. She drowns herself in things, ignoring her problems, ignoring the fact that she is not okay.