Chapter 1. A Story to Tell

Quinton Newman My name is Quinton L

                    Quinton Newman

My name is Quinton L. Newman. I'm 18 and in Rank 8. I've sort of been forced to train as it was never my option. I've been training since I was 3. I had to try every single fucking weapon, trying to master at least one by the age of 12 just to get into a rank.
Ranks are a weird thing in GreyRose. It doesn't necessarily show how good or high you are, but what weapon you're distinct at. When your 13, your tested into a rank, and if you aren't good at anything...then you sort of just ruined your life right then and there. Let me explain the ranks. Rank 1 is the Brass Knuckle Division. It's probably the most painful division.
Rank 2 is Hand and Hand Combat. No weapons. Just normal fighting with multiple techniques.
Rank 3 is Chain Weaponry. You train with heavy ass chains. They're like 10-15 pounds, and they hurt like hell. It isn't as painful as rank 1 though.
Rank 4 is the Kunai Division. Kunai's are like these weird, small, sharp daggers. They throw and use these as melee weapons. They are hella sharp.
   Rank 5 are Hand and Star Combat. It's just Hand and Hand Combat with occasional sharp ninja stars coming at you every now and then.
  Rank 6 is the Spear Division. Just like Kunai's, they can be used for throwing or be a melee weapon, except their longer...and sharper which I didn't even know was possible.
   Rank 7 is the double sided knife combat division. It's this..weird long knife that has another knife attached on the other side.
   Rank 8, which is what I'm in, is the Nunchuck division. I genuinely hope I don't have to describe that to you.
  Rank 9 is the long sword division. The long swords are just swords that are longer than normal. They aren't as sharp as a normal sword or a katana but they are mostly used for defense.
Rank 10 is the Bow Staff Division. It's a long, wooden stick, not sharp on either sides, that can fuck you up. I give a lot of respect to people who handle these well.
Rank 11 is the Katana Division. That also speaks for itself. It's just a really sharp sword.
Last but not least is the double staff Division. A bow staff broken in half and used as 2 sticks. Props to them too.

Ranks really just show our future. Either become the best of your rank, turn into the one who trains the younger ones for your rank, or just a disappointment. Over 1200 people tryout a year, and yet, only 100 make it in. 8 from each division and the remaining 4 are randomized, but they mostly get eaten up by the mentors.
Moral of the story. Some lives are worth more than others.

I put down my nunchucks and take a quick shower before heading into the kitchen where my mom stands, cooking her life away.
She tried out when she was 17. She was one of the finalist but...she got injured and I guess she was never the same. She settled down with my dad. He's a mentor at Zelch, which would get people thinking. Is Quinton Newman going to get cheated into Zelch? The short answer is no. My dad takes no pity on me. He's the great Phillip Newman. It's fine when I don't need pity, but it doesn't help when I actually need it.
"Morning Ma," I say sitting at the table.
"Done with morning training already?" She questions.
"Hm? Yeah. I just..woke up early. Uhm, what are you making?"
"Pancakes. Just the n-"
"Morning!" My dad barges in the kitchen, yelling without care. He doesn't yell happily, but yells as if he trains me and my mother. I'm genuinely done with it. "Quinton?"
"What?" I ask, sighing.
"Did you take your Tekt Pill?!"
"I already did earlier. You don't need to remind me every morning."
"I damn well do. What's in 3 days Newman?"
"Tryouts."
"And how long are tryouts at the Academy?"
"6 Months, and 12 days." I use my hand as a stand for my head.
"Because?"
"This year, there will be 1800 candidates trying out. You've made me wait longer because you want me t-"
"To get in. I won't forgive you if you don't son. That is the obvious part." He goes over to my mom and kisses her on the head.
"Phillip, you don't have to yell at him every morning," my mom begins, "I'm sure he knows by now. You've been training him his whole life. Give him a break for once."
"Why give him a break when he is about to go somewhere that reasons why he's been training his whole life?"
"I- Uh. I'm going to do more training. I'll eat breakfast later mom." I stand up.
"Didn't you just take a showe-"
"It's fine. I'm just going to do..light training."