Chapter 18: An Expected Occurrence

After the tragic deaths of both Tenya Iida and Neito Monoma, everyone was sent home. The police were called and the investigations had begun. Calls were made to the parents of the deceased boys to let them know what had happened. Many tears were shed that night. You were no exception. 

As you walked home, a feeling of guilt settled in your heart. Deep down, you felt like it was your fault. If only you had known how to help. You slammed your front door shut, practically running to your bedroom. Your backpack had been thrown to the side absentmindedly as you sobbed into your pillow, gripping onto the sheets tightly.

Memories of Iida flashed in your mind. There weren't many, but they were powerful. The last one you saw was when he declared his love for Uraraka in his dying breath. After ceasing your tears, you decided to call the bubbly brown-haired girl to see how she was doing. She picked up after a few rings. "(Y-(Y/N)?" She sniffled from the other end.

"Hey, Ochako. I just wanted to know if you were okay." You replied, a pang of sympathy took over your heart. A few sniffles were heard as she tried to clean herself up. "I-I don't know... I mean, what if it was my fault?" She asked, sobbing. You sighed, feeling guilty. "No, you couldn't have known. You tried your best, and that's what matters."

~

Your conversation with Uraraka lasted late into the night. The two of you found comfort in each other's company. Eventually, both of you fell asleep. You woke up to the sound of your alarm, which was strangely reassuring. After quickly getting ready, you walked to school. Even though such horrific events had occurred the day before, the school must go on. 

You were over an hour early, meaning you had time to think about everything. The classroom was empty, only accompanied by the ghosts of the students who had died the day before. Sighing, you took your seat. Tears dripped from your eyes, falling onto the desk. The droplets formed small puddles as your crying turned into sobbing.

The sounds of your misery echoed in the empty room, not helping to comfort you. For a moment, you thought you saw Iida. In reality, it was your eyes playing tricks on you. A pained cry escaped your lips as your knees lifted to your chest. You gripped the sides of your head with your hands, grabbing fistfuls of your (H/C) hair.

You were a mess. Alone in an empty classroom, you began to break. Choked sobs and brief cries escaped your small form. After a few minutes, you managed to look up and calm slightly. Tears still slipped from your cheeks, but it was less than before. You wiped your nose with your hand, sniffling. That was when you noticed a silhouette in the doorway. 

Instantly, you stopped crying. A sense of anxiety and fear crept into your mind. As soon as you blinked, the figure was gone. You sighed, figuring that your mind was playing tricks on you again. A few more tears fell from your eyes. They landed on your desk, joining all of the other teardrops that had fallen there. As you began to start sobbing again, the door opened. 

Mirio stood in the doorway. He had a look of surprise on his face. Instantly, he ran over to you, trying to calm you. "(Y/N), are you alright?" He asked, placing his hand on your shoulder. You wiped your eyes, nodding. "I-I'm f-fine..." You trailed off, your gaze not moving from the desk. The tall blonde dropped to your height, meeting your eyes. "(Y/N), please. Talk to me." He said comfortingly.

~

You told Mirio almost everything, letting out all of the bottled up emotions. He was understanding and kind. Not only did he help to make you stop crying, but he also made you smile. He made you laugh. Mirio was there when nobody else was. He was like a beam of sunshine on a rainy day. There to help you and make you smile.

Unfortunately, he had to leave. Everyone began entering the classroom, and he had left. He had his own classes to get to. The seats filled up quicker than normal. Everyone was later than normal. Aizawa made it to class, looking more exhausted than ever. "Taking recent events into consideration, I've decided it's best you all know what's going on. Every day, I will update you as to where we are on the case." He explained.

"Yesterday, the police found out that Iida had been poisoned using a compound called ethylene glycol. It was deliberately put into his water without his knowledge." This caused many whispers and mutters around the classroom. The death of Iida was no accident. "As for Monoma, it seems to be plain suicide. There is no evidence that it was a murder. For all we know, he just wanted to end it all." 

Aizawa cleared his throat, trying to break the tension. "Anyway, that's all we know right now. The police and the heroes are currently working very hard to solve all of this, so please be patient. We're doing the best we can." He said in his usual monotone, different from all the things he had said previously. A few more whispers spread around the room. 

"With that said, today is going to be an easier day for you. I'm allowing you to study independently while I work on this case. Please, be responsible." The tired teacher spoke, leaving the classroom. As soon as he did, people began talking. Theories on who killed Iida, words of sympathy to those who were close to him, and other things of the sort.

If any two people seemed the most affected, it was Midoriya and Uraraka. They seemed almost completely broken by the death of their close friend. A few tears escaped both of them as they tried to keep composure. It was obvious that the two would never be the same. Truthfully, nobody in U.A. would ever be the same.

Silently, you stood up and left the classroom. You don't know why, but you felt like you needed to be alone. Wandering the halls of the school, you sang to yourself. It was a form of comfort. The echo of your voice rang in the empty halls of the abandoned section of the school. It was almost haunting, yet at the same time, it was serene and pleasant. 

Your footsteps were your beat, your rhythm. You sang a soft, entrancing melody, getting lost in your mind. The empty halls were a safe place for you... or so you thought. Suddenly, you were grabbed around the waist from behind. A cloth was placed over your mouth. You held your breath, afraid of what kind of substance you were being forced to inhale.

"Don't try to fight it, doll. You're already mine~"

~

"Wait, where are you going?"

"Don't worry. I know where she is."

"That doesn't answer my question. Plus, we're still at school!"

"I know. Just trust me, would you? She got away once, but she never will again."