Chapter One: Running

(A/N: Hey! It's the author, AJ here! So, just in case you didn't read the description, (•n•) this is book two of my DDLC Element Guardians series. If you haven't read the first one, please do, as this'll make a lot more sense. Thanks for reading! -Aj)

Running. The action of picking yourself up,
only to let yourself drop back down to the ground again.

To fall and rise.

Why run? Is there someone behind you? Someone chasing you? It's your choice to look back or not.

But the trees flied by as my vision blurred them out, only focusing on what's ahead of me, and maintaining my vision.

I usually always ran alone; it was always a solo activity. It helped clear my head, pass time. All in giving me a chance to feel myself push forward, even while feeling pain.

Your body aches you to stop, but your mind is determined on one thing. Winning.

Yet, I felt something. I looked over my shoulder and behind me.

I wasn't running alone. Birds flew low in the sky while a variety of woodland animals ran on all fours, behind me. But they weren't scarred. They seemed like they were following me.

And I wasn't scared either. I don't know why.

But I felt like a leader, leading them strong out of the forest. Like running to freedom.

Only, the trees would fade away and the forest came to a halt. With a dreadful realization, I realized that we were running straight for a cliff, a large crack in the Earth's ground.

I tried to stop, but it was impossible. I couldn't stop moving. My eyes scanned the other side of the large crack, the ground green and flourished, some flowers blowing in the soft wind.

We needed to get over there, but how do we cross this gap? I watch as my feet continued to run to the edge.

Okay.. Let's try this..

My name is Monika. I am a sixteen year old high school student, attending the famous school that only the best of the best get into. (Not like I'm bragging, or anything,) Me and my three friends are orphans, being raised by a nice caretaker called LaLa.

But we have a secret. One that we were supposedly born with.

And I?

I'm running. Running faster. Running with hope. Hope that if I gain enough momentum, I'll be able to jump across the large gap, and make it to the other side.

And I'll do it first.

Some crumbs of dirt or small rocks fall down the side of the stone and into the large gap as my feet reach the end of the ground, leaping into the air. It feels good, almost like I'm flying.

But land animals stick to the ground. I watch myself fall, unable to get close enough to the other side to grab onto a ledge to hold myself up.

Helplessly, I fall deeper into the darkness, madness that's going to consume me. Falling deeper, and deeper. Feeling my head press against my skull and noticing my eye sight going dizzy. I can feel the darkness grab at my feet as I fall straight into it, and I close my eyes tightly.

Moika..

Monik..

Monika...

Monika..

Monika.

Monika!