Chapter Fourteen: Bear Cave

I hastily stand up and take a step back, the small frog jumping back to join the crowd. "I didn't do anything!"

The voices the animals made rang through my mind like an excited group of fans at a concert, awaiting for their favourite band to play.

"She's come back!"

"Finally!"

"We're saved!"

"Why didn't she tell us about her arrival sooner?"

"She looks smaller.."

"Who cares? She's finally here!"

"Excuse me! Coming through!"

The last voice rang through the entire group, loud and assertive. I watched as the animals made a small pathway, and a..

Instinctively, I feel my muscles tense as a large, well feed bear with dark brown fur and black eyes padded forward, his stance tall and his shoulder wide.

Behind me, I could hear the desperation in Natsuki's voice, "M-Monika, what is this? What's going on?!"

"I.." I don't know. But I will know.

For whatever reason, if the others can't understand these animals then I'll have to do it. Slowly, I take a step towards the grizzly bear as it walks forward with its large paws.

I hear Sayori gasp something worriedly, but my focus stays on the large creature in front of me.

This could easily kill me right now, along with any other animal here.

I should be careful..

Once me and the bear are a few feet away from each other, I stand still, waiting for something. The bear then lowers his head, closer to my face. I can practically feel his hot breathing.

"Monika..!" Sayori gasped.

I flinch, watching his black coal textured nose twitch before he backed away and stood fully up. "You may look like her, but you don't have her scent." He announced.

Some animal from the large crowd yelled, "So who is she?"

"She's.." The bear continues to lock eyes with me. I don't know why I'm not shaking, because I fell like I'm about to explode on the inside. I continue to stare at him before I can see his eye almost.. light up in a way.

"Oh.. Oh! Oh my goodness! No way!" He whipped his head excitedly, continuing to study me. "It's her! It's the.. The baby!"

Baby? What is going on?

Another female voice from the crowd. "You don't mean.."

"Yes!" The bear roared excitedly. "It's her! Oh, Monika, was it! Monika, right?"

How does he know my name?

"I.. I, Yeah.. Yeah, I'm Monika.." I say quietly, almost jumping as the bear jumps in place excitedly, the whole fire sting roaring in excitement.

That also meant startling the other.

"What is this?!" Natsuki screamed.

"Monika!" Sayori yelled, "What did they say?"

I glance back at them. "I.. I think they know me."

"Know you?" Natsuki repeated in disbelief.

"Is the bear gonna eat you?" Sayori asks worriedly. "Or us?"

"Eat you?" The bear repeats, and I turn back to face him. "Eat you?" He suddenly erupts into laughter, along with a few other loud voices in the back, scarring me.