Chapter Thirty-Seven: Extinguishing Flickering Flames

(A/N: Is that..? Light? I haven't seen the light in months.. Years.. I'M FREE- Sooo hi! XD Been a while since a new chapter came out, hasn't it? I mean, you've changed. I've changed. The year HAS CHANGED- AND WE'RE BACK! Goodness, I have to say, this chapter has been in the works for so long I'm so so SO excited to finally get to share it! To everyone who came back, thank you for your patience!! I won't go on for much longer, but please enjoy the chapter!

(Warning: This chapter is around 15 thousand words which is by far the longest chapter I've ever written! I'm sure this goes without saying, but make sure to take breaks! (And drink apple juice and/or water!)

Warning 2: This chapter deals with lightly suggesting depressive thoughts and death. View discretion is advised.

Alright that's all, now on with the chapter! Thanks for reading! -AJ)

This evening was one where we had free time, which rarely ever happened.

The air was chilly, not because winter was coming, but because dark clouds loomed over the regular darkening blue. It only made running outside feel better as I ended up racing down a hill, trying to get as far as I could from the initial starting spot.

I slowed down, trying to regain control of my now irregular breathing while taking in my surroundings. No trees were nearby unfortunately, which meant there weren't a lot of good hiding spots. Being out in an open field like this would still have its upsides though; more space to move around. Though you'd only just be running. It'd be difficult to lose your chaser if there's only a straight path. It would be a battle of stamina, who can keep running the longest. Unless your chaser caught up to you and caught you of course, then you're automatically done for.

But I didn't want that to happen, so I kept focused and continued to slowly move forward.

That's strange..

I couldn't see the others. I was sure we all went the same way. Maybe I-

"Got you!" Before I could bolt off, a light push against my back told me I had already lost.

Even though she tagged me, my capturer wrapped her arms tightly around me in the event I still try and escape from her. Though considering she's almost double my height, that wouldn't have worked even if I tried.

I could only laugh, squirming in her tough grasp as she holds me firm while trying to calm down her own rough breathing. "T-That's not fair, LaLa! I didn't even see you!"

"I suppose I should have yelled "Surprise attack!" instead then, hm?" She inquired, the woman now letting me go as she stepped back with a warm smile.

Only feeling slightly sour about my horrible, and frankly a bit embarrassing loss, I turned to look at her. "D-Did you get the others?"

She shook her head, and I'm not sure if I feel more disappointed that I was one of the first people to get caught or confused as to where they are. "No, you are the first one I tagged, but with your help they won't last very long!"

So I really was the first one to get caught. Maybe that was only because she was targeting me? Or maybe I am just really bad at this game. Well either way, the game's still going. "Did you see them? Do you know where they are?"

My question is answered by a loud gasp being heard from behind us. Both LaLa and I turned to face the source of the noise. My heart beats a bit faster with excitement when I notice two other girls standing besides each other, just a few feet away on the same field.

"She got Monika!" Sayori exclaimed, pointing to where LaLa and I stood. Still, with a large smile on her face, she turned around to the smaller pink haired girl that stood next to her. "Nat! What do we do?"