Chapter Five: Eyes Of The Night

Advanced Calculous.

A world filled with numbers and equations. Yuri liked math. It was because how straightforward it was. If you got the wrong answer, you'd know. But it didn't leave much to the creative mind unless you were able to find a new way to solve a problem.

But Yuri's mind was slightly on the topic of Monika. She was worried about her. Not much, of course; she knew the brunette could take care of herself, but she never liked seeing her so tired.

The thought didn't last long as the teacher in the front of the room spoke. "Alright, that's it for today. Work on page 249-252, numbers 1-17. You can have free time for the rest of the period."

Yuri was going to begin her math homework as a head start, but she decided against it. She's always been so busy doing school work now that she hasn't gotten a chance to read anything.

And the books she took from the library looked pretty intriguing. She carefully closed her notebook and slipped it as quietly as she could back into her bag, pulling out a large, brown hardcover book.

The book was called, "Dark Roses as a Gift". It had a small, black thorny rose on the cover, and it had caught Yuri's interest. She wasn't sure why, but the books premise seemed interesting.

The book was a horror novel, something about a fake sense of romance when a new girl moves into a strange country, and she meets a boy, who she begins to like. Yuri wasn't in for the romance, more for horror aspects.

She recalled the page number she left off on; 73, and she opened the book gently. Her eyes flickered on the words as she began to read, the world around her fading as the voice in her head narrates.

•••

'And thus, a petal fell off the rose.'

'Chapter forty—'

Yuri glanced up from the book, her mind slowly coming back to reality. Only then did she notice the classroom so quiet, all the seats empty, the teacher had left, some students walking in the hallway with lunch trays or money.

Ah..! Did I just..?

Hesitantly, Yuri glanced at the clock. 12: 27. She was almost thirty minutes late to the cafe! She was about to hurry out before she looked beside her, someone she recognized sitting down at his desk, his black eyes focused on the pages of a book.

Jess hasn't left either, which surprised Yuri. After all, he was starting the cafe too.

Yuri flinched as Jess glanced up from the book, and looked beside him, straight at the maiden. Quickly, the girl looked away, embarrassed. I-I'm sorry, I shouldn't be starring..

"Oh, hey." Jess says casually, as if Yuri hadn't disturbed him.

Quietly, Yuri glanced back at the black haired boy. "I-I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to interrupt you..!"

Jess shrugs. "We're not going to the cafe. I called it off."

Yuri blinked in surprise. He called it off for lunch? "U-Uhm, apologies for asking, but why did you cancel it..?"

"Wanted to read." He replies coldly, turning his head back around and looking back at his book.

Yuri took this as a hint to stop bothering him, and did. She looked back at her own book, but her mind refused to concentrate.

Did she disrupt Jess? Why is he just sitting there, is he not getting lunch? Should she leave? Maybe find the others? But she can't just walk out and leave him alone. Or what if that's what he wants? Does she leave or not? And even if she does leave, where would she go-?