Chapter Twenty: Remorse

(A/N: Hey, it's AJ here! I just wanted to give a quick warning that this is the chapter where Monika goes to her fathers grave. If you feel uncomfortable about reading that sort of stuff, please skip to the next chapter. I'll keep this chapter short so you don't miss much!
Also, happy early birthday to @animecookie043 (Yes I know, I made a mistake, sorry!) If you haven't, check out her books out!

Thanks for reading! -AJ :) )

After the trees became larger and we had ventured into the woods far enough, I stopped at ES's command.

"Okay, stay still, and close your eyes. The portal might be bright."

"Alright." I oblige and shut my eyes close.

I keep them shut as a whirling sound of a fan or a magical hum vibrates through the forest. The whirling stops, but a soft sound continued; the kind of sound that sounds like air when it's being sucked into a vacuum.

"Go ahead and open your eyes now."

Slowly, I let my eyes open. It takes me a minute to get adjusted to the new bright blue and white light, but once I can see, I notice a large oval like gap in front of me.

A portal. Inside it was only white with light blue particles floating inside and out, a never ending void. It was strange to look at, since it was like a open door in the air.

"You made this?" I ask, impressed.

"Ahaha~ Yeah. Step inside, just try not to get dizzy."

I slowly nod, apprehensively approaching the portal; it's sound only getting louder. "How do I do this?" I ask, peering inside the void like portal. "Do I just.."

"Yes, just step in, like you were stepping into a room."

"Okay.." I slowly put one of my feet inside the portal. It's not exactly sturdy, but it's solid enough to hold me, even though I can feel the air pressure pulling me in.

After gaining balance, I fully step in, the light surprisingly not as bright as I thought. It's just.. colour. No vibrancy or brightness.

Though, I don't notice for long as once I'm in, I'm pushed forward immediately, making the balance I once had impossible to gain. I shut my eyes as I get pushed at a set pace, somewhere.

"Ow!" I yell as I get thrown onto the ground, the flooring hard and cold. Probably concrete.

"Sorry, sorry! I forgot you're human.."

How can you forget something like that..?!

"It's.. It's fine." I once again open my eyes and slowly get up to a stand.

But what I see, is slightly scaring me. I didn't land on concrete, I landed on dried up and cracked dirt.

The sky seemed dusty, and less clean than before. Some dust clouds scattered the sky like clouds, only they were dry and unnatural.

And in front there was no trees. No alive trees anyways. The roots dried up on the ground and spread between the cracks, the flowers, when there were some, were dried and ripped.

It looked almost like a desert. A burnt down forest. Piles of ashes still lay on the ground, and only a small puddle of water was remaining on the ground.

"Where.. What is this place..?" I ask slowly, trying to find any form of life. There was none.

"I'm not entirely sure. But from what I can tell, this was a dimension where your father was born."