Chapter Seventeen: Inner Frustration

"You're.. You're the Earth's spirit?" I ask, slightly confused and horrified.

"I mean, kind of! I am part of the spirit of the one who created the first Earth."

Who created the first Earth..

"Like.. an Earth Guardian?"

The voice gasps, surprised. "That sound familiar, I think that's right! You're one yourself, aren't you?"

"Ah.." How does she know? "Yeah.. I guess I am."

"Then I've found who I am supposed to find! Excellent."

"What do you mean?" I ask again. "You didn't tell me why you needed to find me?"

"I can't say I remember much. I don't know where I came from or who exactly made or sent me. But I do remember some historic events, and I do know why I'm here."

"..?"

"To help you of course. I was sent down here to help train you in using your powers."

I blink in surprise. "Why? We've been doing fine so far."

"....Really?" The Earth Spirit asks sarcastically. "Because if I remember correctly, I think you were the one who went crazy as a nine tailed fox and destroyed the cafeteria."

"..." I stare at the ground in confusion. "Y-You know about that?"

"Yes, I just gained all your memories."

This isn't making any sense. "Why would you want to do that?"

"So I can help you as best as I can and know what needs to be worked on. And.. All I can say, is that we're gonna be here a while."

Slight offended and out of habit, I roll my eyes. "What shall we start with?"

"Now, hold on. We aren't all work and no talk. We're going to multi-task."

"Multi-task?" I repeat. "Doing what? And how can you help me, you don't exactly—"

My though gets cut off as a thin twig flashed in front of my eyes, hovering in air gently. I stumble back, surprised and confused as I stare at the floating stick. "A-Ah..!"

"There. I'm the stick."

"You're.. You're the stick..?"

"Yes."

I'm stunned and speechless, not exactly sure on what to say before I watch the stick intently. "But.. How?"

"As the Spirit of Earth, I can shape-shift into anything I want. More like a disguise."

"Why would you need a..?" I stop myself. We aren't getting anywhere with just asking pointless questions. "Why a stick though?"

"Because this will be our first night of training. Don't you remember?"

I watch as the stick floats in front of me, pointing out like it's ready to fly forward. That's when it hits me. "A.. A race?"

When we were getting trained by a woman named Mrs. Smith, her first activity was to get the four of us lined up and make us run through go the forest chasing a stick.

I.. I failed both of them.. But then again, I didn't because I was faster then the stick Mrs. Smith controlled, so.. I really won..? How does this work?

I hear the voice sigh. "Monika, it's not a race. The only thing you are running against is yourself."

"What does that mean?"