Chapter thirty-one - Lost children and Nightmares

Sam woke up first. He looked at his boyfriend laying there cuddled up to him. A smile crept onto the hunter's face as he gave the angel a kiss on the forehead. He loved seeing him so calm.

After a while of Sam staring at him Gabriel woke up. He was still pretty drowsy and just smiled at his significant other. "Mh~ morning." He gave him a long sweet kiss. "It's great to wake up to you next to me."

The hunter just smiled at him. "Good morning. Did you sleep well?" His boyfriend just nodded and cuddled closer to him nearly falling asleep again.

"Gabe, we can't stay in bed forever." A small chuckle escaped the hunter's mouth. "I've gotta take a shower."

"Just five more minutes."

"Okay." The two stayed there for a while until Sam eventually got up. He gathered his clothes from his bag and the floor where Gabriel had thrown them last night and took a quick shower. When he got back the other had stolen one of his hoodies.

"You look cute." The hunter went over to him and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Wanna grab some breakfast?"

"Hell yes!" Gabriel grabbed his arm and went outside with him. "Wait, where do you want to eat?"

A small laugh escaped the other's mouth. "I've seen a little bakery across the street from that club we went to yesterday."

So with that they ate their breakfast and went through a park. When they did they came across a crying kid. Sam's first instinct was to ask it if everything was alright but due to it only speaking German it didn't quite understand him.

Luckily he had an archangel by his side who was fluent in every language. Gabriel kneeled down in front of the kid. While Sam couldn't understand a word his significant other was saying he found it adorable how softly the other spoke with the child.

Gabriel the stood up again and took the child's hand telling Sam that they had to look for it's parents. The archangel did his best to calm the kid down while they searched the park.

And sooner than later they found the parents who were frantically looking all over the place for their son. When the two lovers brought them their kid they were ecstatic thanking them over and over again.

As they walked away a smile spread across the angel's face. He felt good having done something good. Sam gave him a kiss on the cheek. "You have a hand for children. Probably because you're just as hyper as them."

"I have a hand for a lot of things, Samsquatch." Gabriel grinned at him and squeezed his ass making the other jump.

"Gabe!" The hunter's face flushed a bright red. But the other just laughed. "Sorry, sorry. Let's get back to the hotel, Saminator."

And they did.

When the two arrived back they stopped by Dean and Castiel's room. Gabe knocked. "Are you guys decent?!" Without waiting for an answer Gabriel marched in to find the two cuddling while watching TV. "Great you are." He smirked.

After they spend the whole day sightseeing and Gabriel trying to convince Sam to carry him it got late. So they went back to the hotel.

Gabriel and Sam went to sleep. But the archangel woke up in the middle of the night to his boyfriend tossing and turning violently. The hunter often had nightmares and Gabriel would normally just use his powers to help him sleep but since this was happening so often he wanted to know what it was that prompted these dreams. So, he woke the other up.

"Sam, dear? What's wrong?" He put his hand on the other's cheek slowly stroking it with his thumb.

The hunter was disoriented and scared but the other's touch seemed to calm him down and after a while he was able to breathe normally. "Oh, it was a dream...?"

"Do you wanna talk about it? You seem to have nightmares a lot." Gabriel pulled him into a hug. "You looked like you needed a hug."

The other hid his face in his shoulder and took a deep breath. He was still a bit shaken but decided to tell him all about his nightmares. Sam recounted how he was stuck in the cage and how sometimes he still has nightmares about it.

Without really wanting to he started to cry. So much shit has happened to him and he barely has time to work through it. Gabriel just rubbed his back and listened to everything. It hurt him to see his love like that. But the thing that shocked him most was when he started to retell everything Lucifer did to him in the cage.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" Gabriel cupped the other's hand looking at him worried. Sure questioning him on that probably wasn't the best way to help him but he just needed to know.

Sam wanted to avoid the other's gaze because he was embarrassed. "I didn't want to bother you with my problems. You have enough of your own. I just-" He wiped away some tears not knowing how to continue his sentence because his head was a mess.

But he didn't need to know how to continue because his boyfriend just spoke up. "Sam, please look at me. Don't shut me out like that. You matter and you problems matter. Sure, I have stuff to work through but that doesn't mean I can't help you, as well."

He put their foreheads together. "Please, let me take care of you and let me help you. I love you, Sam, I really do which is why I want to know when you're not okay."

Hearing how much his love cared for him made Sam only burst out into tears again. Partially because he felt guilty or because he was fucked up but mostly because the other loved him unconditionally.

"Shh, honey, it's okay. Well, it might not be okay right now but it will be I promise and I never break my promises." Gabe brushed his finger through the other's hair while he sobbed on his shoulder. "I'll never let anyone hurt you again. Never, you hear me. No matter who it is I'll protect you from them."

They stayed like that for a while until Sam got tired. "Thank you, I love you, Gabriel." The hunter yawned and slowly fell asleep in his love's arms.

The archangel smiled and materialized his wings to put them around him. They were okay and safe which was all that mattered. As well as how Gabriel would never let Lucifer alone with his boyfriend ever again.