Chapter 12

Chapter 12

5 days later…

Derrick’s POV

It had been a week since Angela and Amanda had been living here.  It was so exciting to see how Amanda had changed.  She still didn’t talk to me but I could tell she was a lot less nervous around me. 

Last night I had a glass of water on the table that I had finished and when she passed by she stopped and just looked at my glass.  I tried not to look directly at her but then she slowly came closer and grabbed my glass and brought it to the kitchen.  When she came back and sat next to her mom I said thank you.  She blushed so bad I wanted to laugh.  I was making progress with her and I was so happy about that.

Angela was getting better everyday.  Her bruises were almost gone, or where I could see her skin.  She was a bit more open but not always.  I could still ask her one question per day but for the past 2 days, she had refused to answer and I didn’t blame her.  I always made sure Amanda wasn’t around, which was very rare or that she was in a deep sleep.

I had asked Angela what Jesse had done to her, the abuse…I had asked her about Amanda, what happened to her, if she had seen or heard…but Angela said she wasn’t ready to talk about that yet.  When that was her answer I didn’t ask another question, she didn’t need to be hounded full of questions all at once.  Which she seemed to relax once she knew I had asked my question, answer or not, that was my one question of the day.

I could see she was more relaxed with me.  I knew I wasn’t her favorite person but I wasn’t her worst enemy anymore, which was awesome.

I talked to Angela’s parents, Dave and Barb, everyday.  Barb had told me I could call more than once a day but I nipped that in the butt saying I least I had called.  They asked everyday if they could come over, every time they’d ask, I’d ask Angela and she would say no.  They were losing their patience and again I told Angela so she agreed to coffee and they would come over here.

When I told Barb over the phone she asked if we could do a diner.  Angela said no, only coffee, meaning it would be for one hour and then they’d leave. 

I was the messenger boy between the two of them and I’d always be the one receiving the nasty comments which was starting to make me go insane.

So, tonight was the night her folks were coming over.  I was ready, coffee was ready but not turned on yet, Angela and Amanda were finishing getting ready.

Angela didn’t care how she looked but she wanted Amanda to look her best.  I had asked her, why would Amanda want to look nice for people she doesn’t know and her mom does but stays in the pj’s. 

‘I didn’t think about that.’ She had said.

So she took a shower and I hadn’t seen her since.

I was all ready, waiting for her parents to show up.  I had my dark jeans on with a black V-neck shirt.  I made sure my short brown hair was placed properly and wasn’t sticking up in the air.