Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Derrick’s POV

‘You ready?’ I asked Amanda.

‘No.’ she said shaking her head really fast.

‘It’s going to be fine baby.  Daddy’s waiting for you at the bottom he won’t let you fall.’ Angela said, then added, ‘Right Daddy?!’

I laughed, ‘Amanda I won’t let you fall.  I promise.’ I told her, hoping this would work.

It was a perfect Saturday afternoon and the three of us were at the park.  Angela had been taking Amanda to the park everyday this week while I was at work and I was so excited to see how she was now, in the park.

Amanda was at the top of the slide with Angela beside her while I was at the bottom.  Amanda was now able to go through most of the park but Angela had told me she was having trouble with the slide.

She was scared of going down, falling and getting hurt.  Since Angela had to go everywhere in the park with Amanda, since she wouldn’t go alone, she never went down the slide.  So here we were today, both girls at the top while I waited and hoped she was going to come down and also, it would be a first and I would see it.  I was so happy about that.  I had missed so much with her, to see her doing something for the first time had me so happy and excited, and I just hoped she’d be able to do it.

‘Okay baby, you need to sit down.’ Angela told her.

‘Mommy…’ Amanda started to say but didn’t finish.  With Angela’s hands on Amanda’s waist to make sure she didn’t fall, very slowly Amanda sat down at the top of the slide.

I could feel my heart racing so I couldn’t even imagine how Amanda felt.  Usually kids love the park and want to try everything, even all at once if they could, but Amanda wasn’t a usual kid.  She was very different which was a reason my heart beat was out of control.

It was very surprising that on a great day like today where it wasn’t to cold that the park was empty.  With our morning call from Officer Grant saying the case was closed was amazing.  I could see the weight come off of Angela’s shoulders, she was more relaxed without all the stress.  It was their moment, to have their normal lives they’ve wanted for so long.  Amanda had wanted to come to the park, well…to see the park. 

She’d tell her mom everyday she wanted to see the park.  Our guess was she wanted to know if there were a lot of people around, if there were, they’d just sit and watch, when there wasn’t a lot of people or kids, she’d want to go and play.  Angela always had to go with her or else Amanda wouldn’t move.

‘Okay, when you’re ready count to three and slowly push yourself forward and you’ll slowly go down the slide.  Make sure to keep your hands on the sides so you’ll have control and you’ll be safer.  Okay?’ I heard Angela say.

Amanda’s eyes were on me, never leaving mine. 

‘You can do it honey, I know you can.’ I told her smiling.

Slowly again she nodded.  I didn’t hear her count but I could see her lips moving a little.