Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Sunday…

Angela’s POV

Derrick, Amanda and I had finally walked our way to the grocery store.  I was so excited and nervous at the same time.

I hadn’t been to one of these in 5 years and my baby girl had never seen one period.  I could tell she was so nervous by the way she was holding my hand.  Squeezing my fingers together, letting me know silently, how scared she really was.

We were standing in front of the store and I felt like I was going to throw up.  My nerves out of control, I hadn’t felt like this since giving my statement to the police.

‘Did you decide what you’re going to get?’ Derrick asked Amanda.

My baby girl and I just looked at each other.  I was trying so hard to calm my nerves, I knew Amanda could feel them and it wasn’t helping her at all.

‘Are you going to get candy?  Chocolate would be good, we can’t have that all the time…only on special occasion, so that would be really good.’ Derrick said, trying to lighten up the mood.

‘I don’t want candy.’ Amanda answered him, keeping her voice low so only we could hear.

‘You don’t?  Wow.  Okay, what do you want?’ He asked her.

‘Um…apple…no…strawberries…no…grapes…no…’ She said to him, I laughed nervously.  She couldn’t make up her mind.

‘You want some fruits?’ He asked, having a hard time processing the idea that she’d want fruit over candy and chocolate.

She nodded her head to answer his question.

‘Alright, and you?’ He asked me.

‘Me?  Why?’ I asked him.  I wasn’t a kid, I didn’t need to have candy or anything else to have walked to a store.  It wasn’t my first time.

‘Well, you haven’t been to one of these in a long time, I know you like chocolate...’ he said to me than came a bit closer, ‘plus you look ready to pass out.  You okay?’ He whispered to me.

When he back away I looked at him and I could feel myself panicking.  He took my hand in his and was passing his thumb over my fingers, trying to relax me like he used to do.

After a few seconds I nodded my head and he let go my hand.