Chapter 27: Checkmate

CAIRO

I've never liked him. His arrogance, as well as his worldview. His and my perceptions are always different, and the contrast surprised me. Who would have guessed that a prince like him would join forces with the darkness? He was there a few years ago. He witnessed everything. He lost all of his team. He lost a part of Terrax. Yet, why? Why is he doing this? What the hell is he thinking?

He clicked his tongue as Greed and Gluttony stood behind him, waiting for orders. 

"Uzma," Leo called. "Why are you doing this?" he asked, and he just gave us a smirk. Siguro naisip niya na kalma lang itong si Leo na nagtatanong pero hindi. He is lucky enough that he is asking because no matter what the reason was, he will not stop. Given the situation that Deanna is here, lying down in this muddy ground- lifeless. "Do you have a death wish?" he asked coldly.

"Get the orb and grimoires," utos ni Uzma.

"Hawak ko na po," Greed said. "Pero, nawawala po ang isang grimoire," he added, and Uzma began to furrow his brows. "Mukhang nakuha po sa tinakas nilang babe," he added.

Without any hesitation, humarang kaagad kami sa entrance ng cave and Evie activated a barrier para walang makakalabas.

"Cairo, Cairo, Cairo," sabi ni Uzma habang tumatawa. A black shadow instantly surrounded him, and he stared directly to my eyes. "Huwag kayong humarang kung ayaw niyong pasabogin ko ang buong bayang ito," he threatened. I took off my mask and tilted my head to show my sarcastic smile.

"Baka nakalimutan mo?" I asked. "Ikaw at ang mga kasama mo ngayon ang sasabog ngayong araw," I added. "You are not going anywhere. Not only you used this forest as your den, but you even had the audacity to betray your country. You see, wala ka ng karapatang mabuhay. You should be the one laying down in this muddy ground, you fucking asshole!" sigaw ko. I'm pissed off. We trusted him. The country trusted him. The school trusted him.

"Now, that's new to my ears, Cairo," he replied. "I've never heard you shout," he added, and he began to laugh.

I wore my mask again and my vision color changed. My vision turned into dark green at ramdam na ramdam ko ang pag-init ng katawan ko dahil sa galit. Tila ba kumukulo ang dugo ko sa buong katawan kahit nakatingin lang ako sa kaniya.

"Cairo," I heard Leo called. 

"Kill them," I ordered.

A couple of seconds after I ordered them, Evie and Leo simultaneously teleported in front of Greed and Gluttony, holding their weapons. 

Evie reached for the ribbons that had been tied in her hair. Her ribbon appeared to be a regular hair ribbon at first glance, but it was actually her weapon. She rolled the ribbon around Greed's neck as it became longer. She kicked him into the poisoned water while clutching the ribbon around his neck. Greed landed in the water and before he could even stand up, Evie grabbed him with her ribbon and swung her arm only to witness Greed being pushed away, causing him to strike his back on the prickly walls of this cave. Greed groaned before landing on the muddy ground, and he scowled fiercely at Evie.