Chapter 41: Vainglory

CAIRO

Pilit kong hinabol sina Kel at V habang pinipigilan nila ang spear. I ran as I evaded Wrath's attacks. It didn't bother me that much knowing that the others are backing me up. Napatigil lamang ako nang may bumagsak na malaking spear sa harapan ko, preventing me from rescuing V and Kel. The spear was huge enough to block the way. I stared at the shiny blade where I saw myself in the reflection.

Right behind me was Wrath, holding another spear and another 2 spears behind him. Lumingon kaagad ako para harapin siya and I tilted my neck to evade the spear he was holding. Sure, enough it hit the huge spear behind me. I gripped the remaining spears towards me as I stare into Wrath's eyes filled with mixed emotions- anger, sorrow, every emotion you name, it's inside him.

I heard cracks behind me and the next thing I knew, the huge spear broke into pieces. I need to catch up. Binitawan ko ang dalawang spear na hawak ko and I instantly grabbed Wrath's collar. I used every bit of strenght in me at hinapas ko siya sa lupa. I locked his neck with the two spears by crossing them over. I used that chance to run para sagipin sina V. Before I could even step further, I was surprised that Wrath was able to hold my ankle at natumba ako. 

I gritted my teeth as I saw them fall to the vicious ocean. I took some soil and threw it to him. Napabitaw siya sa akin at tumayo kaagad ako. Eview and Leo stood behind me to stop him from stopping my tracks. Bago pa man ako makarating sa cliff, agad akong napatigil nang may nasilayan akong pamilyar na lugar.

These waters.

This wind.

These huge boulders.

This view.

"Zarona...?" I mumbled. 

"Cairo!!" I heard a shout behind me. Agad akong napalingon where I saw Evie and Leo pinned down in the ground. "Above you!" he added at napatingin ako sa itaas. I jumped away and the blade of his sickle landed on the ground, making a huge crater while electrifying on what was on the ground, including us. The shock was sudden and painful kaya napatumba na rin ako.

I glanced at Wrath, and I saw how he gave me a goofy smile while holding the Grimoire. He raised it as if he won the war. Oh no dear, we are just getting started. 

"Guess we'll settle this fight some other rime," he said. A portal opened beside him and as he was about to get inside, I sensed something fast was coming towards our direction. An immense magic which was a familiar aura to me. My eyes widened when Wrath's huge spear which he used to get rid of Kel and V hit his chest. Hindi lang kami ang nagulat, kung hindi pati siya. Napatingin ulit ako sa Zarona at hindi ko napigilang napatitig sa isang silhouette na nakaharap sa amin.

The spear broke into pieces which let go of a huge pressure and explosion. Halos sumabog ang buong garden at tumilapon ako sa cliff kung saan ako sinalubong ng marahas na karagatan. Before I was swished off by the waves, I saw Evie and Leo sank into the water as well, but they were too far from me. Al on the other hand was safe and screamed our names as our bodies washed out by the waves.

As much as I want to swim towards them, my body was weak. Ramdam ko ang paghina ng mahika ko habang ako ay nakalubog sa tubig. I got startled when someone grabbed my wrist at naiahon ako sa tubig.

"God Cairo!" I heard him complained. It's Kel. "Hang in there!" he added at pilit niya akong sinama sa paglangoy niya. The waves are crushing us both at medyo nahihirapan kaming makisabay sa alon. I can see a huge boulder near us where V was catching her breath, but I doubt if we can make it in tiome bago kami malunod.