Chapter 55: Strongest Pawns

KEL

First of all, I don't even know what's going on. 

"T-That's Cairo, right?" I asked at sabay tumango sina Leo at Evie na parehong nakatitig sa pagbago ng nyo ni Cairo. "Hah, you've got to be kidding me. He's strong enough and yet..." I paused because I don't even know what to say or where to start. Malakas na siya dati pa. From his reaction, pareho lang kaming nagulat maliban kay Vermillion. She was smirking proudly not knowingly she woke up a beast. 

Napatingin ako kay Leo na bigla lang tumawa. HInigpitan niya ang hawak niyang sandata at huminga siyang malalim. 

"That's my master," I heard him whispered.

"Curse you," biglang singit ni Night kaya napatinign kami lahat sa kaniya. "Curse you!!" he shouted at kusang yumanig ang kinatatayoan namin. Pati mga kalaban namin ay napaatras habang tinatangkang ayosin ang mga sugat at galos na nakuha nila mula sa amin. As much as we want to attack them again, this sudden earthquake is preventing us from doing it, so we had to fall back.

"Is my brain playing with me or is that-" Evie paused.

"A fxking army of black souls," Leo interrupted. He glared furiously at Night as he gritted his teeth. Why? What's wrong? "How dare he revive the souls of the dead?" he added at napatingin ako sa paligid. Right- Heka has a complete control with magics- he's the God of Magic after all, of course it makes sense if he can summon the dead. Dumaan ang kaba at takot ko nang napansin kong tumawa si Evie. Napatingin ako sa kaniya and I saw both of them- Leo and her, smiling with excitement. 

"I mean, what are we afraid of? We're also nuts, you know," she said. "It's not like this is something new, right?" she asked at tumingin siya sakin. Inakbayan niya si Leo and they both gazed at me. "Let's stop pretending. Our aces can also revive someone from the dead. This guy right here serves as evidence," she explained, and I had no choice but to nervously smile. 

"Right, right," Leo answered at kinuha niya ang kamay ni Evie na nakaakbay sa kaniya. Halos lamonin na ako ng surpersa at kaba nang bigla niyang hinatak si Evie at hinagis palayo. Hahhhh?! What the hell is he thinking!?

"E-Evie!" I called as I watched body from afar. Napakalakas ng hagis ni Leo, ano bang pumasok sa utak niya?! "Leo! What was that all-" I paused when I noticed something odd.

"She said we'll stop pretending," Leo said. "Then hoorah!" he shouted, and he began to tilt his neck. There it is, he has become that monstrous beast once again. "Playtime is over!" he shouted again at bigla nalang siyang tumalon papunta sa likoran ko. Nabaling ang paningin ko kay Evie and believe me, it looked like she wasn't alone. For a moment, I feel like there were two people holding the trident. My mind has been playing tricks lately-- this also happened when I saw myself in the mirror back then. 

She landed further from us, but I can see how she spanned her trident with her bare hands. Every spin allowed her to summon waters that surrounds us- whether if it came from plants, our sweats, or even the large body of water near us. She suddenly stopped her spin and moved one of her feet forward. A strong pressure was released, creating cracks on the ground near her. She gripped on her trident harder and she swung it with all her strength, wearing a smugly smiling face on her which was peculiar for me to see. The trident suddenly unleashed a devastating tidal wave allowing the black souls vanish. This wave not only deals physical damage but also has a cleansing effect, purging dark enchantments from the area.

I heard Leo laughed from behind me kaya napilitan akong lumingon. I smiled nervously as I watched him slice up the souls, freeing them from despair. Despite the dark energy around him, he wasn't hurting the souls, instead, he was providing peace. Wrath, Cairo's sin- rumors has it that he killed most Heka's cult a few years ago- they were humans and out of their mind- given that situation, those members were innocent and yet Cairo killed them without any hesitation. Thus, Leo who was dead was given another chance to live- living up to his title.