Han Suyin - 3.3

After weeks of travelling, Han Suyin thought that her journey was going pretty well. She found a lot of stores and markets throughout so she bought some new clothes. At one stop of hers, she decided to change her appearance. Although women had more rights in this era, they still weren't equal to men.

Han Suyin knew that if she wanted people to remember her name, she had to be a man, at least in the beginning. After riding on her horse for a bit longer, Han Suyin found an inn where she could get changed. She got off her horse and grabbed the reins. Leading it all the way to the front of the inn, Han Suyin concluded that this place was probably owned by a family.

It was a cozy place from what Han Suyin could see. She wanted to go in and get a room but she didn't want to leave her horse outside unprotected.

"Miss? I don't think you can take that horse with you..." Han Suyin turned to see the person speaking. It was a boy in his teens, average height and build, however, he had a cute smile. The boy was shocked to see a gorgeous woman in front of him.

Till now, all the people that Han Suyin has met didn't judge people by their scars. She knew that once she went to the capital, the nobles would berate her appearance and try to humiliate her.

"Right, um, can you make sure that he doesn't get stolen or run away?" Han Suyin asked the boy. It seemed like he was part of the family that owned this inn.

"I-I'm not sure." The boy said.

Han Suyin took a piece of jade out and handed it to him. "Please? Just for tonight."

The boy was baffled and looked at Han Suyin stupidly. She laughed and went inside the inn.

"Okay, I'll keep him safe, Miss!" The boy shouted.

"Thank you!" Han Suyin shouted back from inside.

Han Suyin looked around the 'waiting area' and saw a lot of paintings, it looked like there were a lot of memories in this place.

"You need a room?" An old man came up to her and asked.

"Yes, I do." Han Suyin replied.

"One night?"

"Yeah."

The man stuck out his hand. "Give me money."

Han Suyin gave him a piece of jade. "I don't have money. Will this do?"

The old man's beard almost fell off looking at the jade. He quickly agreed. "Yes, yes! This will do!"

The man led Han Suyin to a room and left. It was a bit dusty and old, but it was enough. Sitting down on the bed, Han Suyin felt the firm yet soft material, perfect for sleeping. She laid down on it and started talking to Arlo.

'How can I turn myself into a man?'

'I don't know, host.'

'I should be taller.'

'You are already tall compared to the other ladies.'

'I need to be taller.'

'I can give you something that will.'

'Really?'

'Yes, host. But I just found out that you have to compensate for the things I give you.'

'How so?'

'I'm not sure yet, so I can give this to you know and you'll have to do something later.'

'Okay.'

Han Suyin felt something in her shoes lift her higher.

'Are these shoe inserts?'