Han Suyin - 3.5

Getting out of his tent, Han Xiu was led to Commander Bai's tent. Just by looking at the exterior design, Han Xiu could definitely see the difference between the Commander's tent to the others.

"You may go in now." The soldier gestured for Han Xiu to go inside.

"Thanks." He said.

When Han Xiu walked in, he saw someone's back facing him. Looking at the broadness of the person's shoulders, he could guess who it was.

Commander Bai was speaking to the person and when he saw that Han Xiu had arrived, he stopped talking.

"Han Xiu, come here." Commander Bai called Han Xiu over.

Walking up to Commander Bai, Han Xiu got to see the face of Xing Yi Chen.

Definitely the male lead. No doubt about it.

According to this plot, Xing Yi Chen was the aloof and borderline bipolar male lead. Acting hot and cold, especially around Su Leili, a touch of arrogance and pride, really handsome and smart, this was the male lead that made all the girls go crazy.

Han Xiu took a good look at his face before looking at the Commander Bai. He didn't put his head down and stood tall.

"Han Xiu, this is the Third Prince, he's here to discuss some matters." Commander Bai said.

"...Okay?" Han Xiu said a bit confused.

Commander Bai kicked Han Xiu's ankle subtly so that he gets the hint to bow to the Third Prince.

"Greetings, Your Highness." Han Xiu spoke in his deep voice and bowed down slightly.

Xing Yi Chen didn't look at Han Xiu and spoke to Commander Bai, "I expect the others to be here when I get back."

"Of course, Your Highness." After he said that, Xing Yi Chen took a slight glance at Han Xiu and left.

When Xing Yi Chen was not in hearing range, Han Xiu looked at Commander Bai.

"Why'd you call me, Commander? I've only been here for a few days."

"Yes you have, but this is the time to prove that you're worthy to be a Captain, you won't get a chance like this." Commander Bai said, with his brows slightly furrowed.

Commander Bai actually liked Han Xiu. This new Captain didn't have the fear that the other soldiers had, in fact, his mood never changed, even when he saw the conditions of the base. Even though it wasn't bad, it got better if you were ranked higher.

Most nobles that thought they could handle being in the army ran off to the Capital within days of staying in a tent. Complaining about every little thing like how there was no flavoured food, no padded beds or how they spent too much time outside in the sun.

Han Xiu was laid back and wasn't anxious to please anyone. That's what people liked about him here.

"So, is this about the soldiers creeping around the border?" Han Xiu asked casually.

"Yes, it is. How did you know?" Commander Bai looked at Han Xiu questioningly.

"Your soldiers have a lot of gossip going around. Some even say there might be a war." Han Xiu replied.

"I hope we don't have to come to that." Commander Bai sighed.

Han Xiu had helped Commander Bai set up a map on a table and was currently sitting down on a chair.

"Now that you have me, you have nothing to worry about." Han Xiu winked at Commander Bai and leaned back in his chair.

Commander Bai laughed and told a soldier guarding outside his tent to call the rest of the team. This team consisted of Commander Bai, the Second in Command, a General, a Lieutenant, and 2 Captains, excluding Han Xiu. There used to be 2 Generals but, well, General Han died.

There were more Captains because in this particular army base, the soldiers are sectioned off into 3 different groups, all led by different Captains, so that it would be easier for Commander Bai to handle.

Han Xiu was a Captain, but he didn't have a group to train as of yet, because he was new. Commander Bai had been planning to make more groups because of the quantity of soldiers there were, 3 groups just wasn't enough.

General Han was actually Commander Bai's right-hand man before he died, that's why Commander Bai was a bit lenient with Han Xiu.

...

Xing Yi Chen entered the tent after everyone had gathered.

"Tell me what's happening around the borders." The Third Prince spoke, releasing his cold aura.

General Gu, who was on the team, started speaking. "We have had lots of reports about Zhuming soldiers sneaking by the borders. They have been trying to go past the borders and we're suspecting that they might want to start a war."

"Why would they be doing that, aren't they a stable country?" Captain Yao, another member of the team, said doubtfully.

"They are." Xing Yi Chen said, his eyes emotionless.

Han Xiu was lazily sitting on a chair, listening to what the men were discussing about. Xing Yi Chen was speaking about Zhuming and the others were listening carefully.

"If I may," Han Xiu stood up and walked closer to the men, "Zhuming is now a shell of what it used to be. Ever since the previous Emperor died and his brother took over 5 years ago, it has become worse than before."

"Your point is?" General Gu spoke out.

"My point is, the Emperor that is now ruling Zhuming feeds off of fear, he wants control and is very easily agitated. I think that he wants to try and conquer Jiu."

"Impossible. Zhuming's Emperor wouldn't dare." Xing Yi Chen said coldly.

He sent people to kill General Han, and you still don't know about it.

"He would, if he's worried that no other country would take him seriously." Han Xiu went and leaned back on his chair again.

"We need to start being more careful." Commander Bai said.

"Hm." Han Xiu agreed. Xing Yi Chen looked at Han Xiu, the emotions in his eyes were not looking good.

The Third Prince knew where Han Xiu came from, Commander Bai had told him. Not knowing what Han Xiu was capable of made Xing Yi Chen slightly restless.

Xing Yi Chen couldn't go back just yet, he informed Commander Bai that he would be staying for a few days before leaving.

...

A few days passed and Han Xiu was currently in the training grounds with other soldiers.

He was the only figure of authority, which no one really took seriously cause of his casual attitude. Han Xiu was watching two of the soldiers fight and felt that their movements were very bloodthirsty, it seemed like they were getting ready to fight to the death.

"Hey! Don't kill each other when I'm here!" Han Xiu yelled at them jokingly. The other soldiers watching laughed and the two stopped fighting.

"You know, Captain Han, we haven't seen you fight ever since you came here." One of the men who were fighting said.

Everyone around him agreed and looked at Han Xiu, waiting for a reply.

"You never asked me to fight anyone."

"Will you?"

"Why not?"

With that, the soldiers made way for Han Xiu to go to the front where the soldiers fought.

He picked up a training spear and spun it around a few times to get the hang of it.

"So, who am I fighting with?" Han Xiu asked curiously.

"Me." An aloof voice called. Xing Yi Chen walked up to the front and picked up a similar spear.

You've got to be kidding me.