Prom (AU)

Prom (AU)

One Shot #16

Tony's POV

  I decided to bail out on having a date to prom at the last minute. I got sick of the many girls throwing themselves at me out of desperation. I'm a bit surprised that I got sick of it myself because normally I love it when others fawn over me, but this time around, I just wanted to hang out with my friends, those with and without dates. As I'm hanging out with the gang, I hear sniffling right outside of entrance of the gym. My heart breaks for the person on the other side, no one deserves to be sad at their prom. I look around and notice that one person from our usual group is missing... Bruce... he's one of the more sensitive people in my circle... which causes me to believe that he's the one that's upset out in the hall.

     When I open the gym doors, I frown. Bruce is curled up into a ball in front of a row of lockers across the way. I make my way over to him and sit down beside him. I lightly tap him on the shoulder, I want to be gentle so I don't startle and/or upset him further. "Bruce, what's wrong?" He looks at me with red, puffy eyes, which temporarily widen at the sight of me. "T-Tony, I'm sorry you heard me. I meant to be quieter, I'm sorry." I wrap an arm around him protectively, cupping his face so he continues to meet my gaze. "Bruce, what's wrong? Why are you out here crying by your lonesome?" He bites his lip and more tears continue to fall. "B-Betty threatened to out me to the entire school if I didn't pretend like I liked her for the rest of prom. I can't pretend to have feelings for someone that I don't. That's just cruel to both people involved." 

       Betty, ugh that bitch. She's one of the popular girls here at school and is constantly toying with their lives because her life is lacking entertainment. My blood is physically boiling right now. I can't believe she's doing this to Bruce, my sweet Bruce. Bruce is the kindest human being I know, he doesn't deserve this. "Bruce, do you mind if I have a word with Betty?" He gasps. "A-Are you sure that's a good idea Tony?" I nod. "I think it's better than the alternative solutions coming to mind." He clings to me. "O-Okay, just be careful." I give him a small smile. "I'll be right back. Go to the bathroom and wipe those tears away, maybe put some water on your face too. I'm going to fix this for you." 

       I head back into the gym and spot Betty immediately. I storm right up to her with an intimidating glare set in stone onto my face. "Betty, a word please." She rolls her eyes at me. "What do you want Stark?" "What I want for you is simple, leave Bruce alone." She smirks at me. "Why, is he your boyfriend?" I smirk at her. "I was just about to ask him out actually. He deserves someone who actually cares him. You're just toying with his emotions, using him because you're threatening to expose something that isn't anyone's business. Either buzz off or beware. I'm not one to mess with Betty and you know that." She sighs. "Fiinnneee, I'll leave Bruce alone." I smirk. "Good." With that, I turn on my feet and head back out of the gym. I get a lot of weird looks but I ignore them because my priority is getting back to Bruce. 

       When I do get back to him, I notice that he looks a little less upset which gives me some relief. "So I talked to Betty, well more like casually threatened her. You won't have anymore problems with her Bruce... but there's one more thing." He raises an eyebrow at me. "Which is?" My heart begins to race. "IKINDOFTOLDHERTHATIWANTTOBEYOURBOYFRIEND." He chuckles. "I'm sorry, what did you just say?" I take a deep breath and force myself to look directly at him. "I kind of told her that I want to be your boyfriend." Bruce backs up suddenly and nearly crashes into a locker but he doesn't look afraid, just shocked." I approach him from behind in case he bumps into a locker again. "I'm sorry for shocking you Bruce but I promise you that I'm being completely honest. I do want to go out with you, I really like you. I have for a long time..." 

       Bruce moves a bit closer to me and nuzzles into my chest. My heart has never raced so fast in my entire life. I ruffle his hair playfully. "So is that a yes?" He looks up at me and smiles the most radiant smile, all of his sadness has faded. "It's a yes. I like you too Tony, like a lot." I grin. "Like 3000?" He grins back. "Yeah, like 3000." The two of us take a moment to collect ourselves before we walk back into the gym hand in hand like the bosses that we are. Our friends hoot and howl in our honor as we make our way to the center of the dance floor. We receive a lot of attention but tune it out because in this moment, it's just Bruce and I. I finally get to call my dear Bruce mine, what a dream come true. 

     Bruce and I are so content dancing in one another's arms that we're the very last ones on the dance floor at the end of the night. Our friends linger out in the hall watching us through the windows of the gym. They whisper about how wonderful Bruce and I are as a couple and honestly, I couldn't agree more with them. 

I hope that you guys liked this one shot! :) -Mary