quaranta

𝐍𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐕𝐄

madison

it was our last day in miami before we had to leave tomorrow morning. i was dreading this day to come considering i'm not looking forward to meeting my mom. i shouldn't stress it. i'm only going for closure.

we were sitting in the car outside of my mom's house. i was hesitating on whether i should go or not. i still have time to leave.

"i'm scared i don't know wh-" i begin to panic, but mattia grabs my hand tightly.

"hey, look at me." he says and i make eye contact with him. "everything is going to be fine. the moment you tell me let's go, then we'll go." he says and i give him a nod.

i hesitantly open the car door and get out of the car. mattia walks behind me as we make our way to the front door. i look at the letter she gave me before i knock on the door and wait a few seconds.

a young girl opens the door. "hi." she greets mattia and i confusedly.

"hi, is vanessa here?" i ask her and she nods.

"mom! there's someone here for you." the girl says. mom? she had more children?

a few seconds later, a woman came to the front door and my heart dropped to my stomach. it felt like i was looking at my reflection.

"hi how-" she says but then she stops. her face goes pale and realization hits her. she recognizes me. "madison." she says in disbelief and tears begin to form around her eyes. "how did you-" she says and her eyes roam down to my hands. "you found the letter."

she closes the door behind her and walks out to the front porch. "you look just like me." she tells me. i don't know what to say. i am in complete and utter shock.

"why did you leave us?" i ask her and she takes a deep breath in before sitting down on one of her benches.

"i had no other choice." she tells me calmly, which only infuriates me.

"yes you did." i tell her. "you could've stayed with us and raised your first daughter! you could've let others help you!" i yelled at her and mattia grabs onto my shoulders.

"i know you're mad but please-" she says.

"please nothing." i spit. "you don't even have the slightest idea of what i've been through! i've had to teach myself things a mother would normally teach her daughter. i was the only girl in my class who didn't make letters for their mom on mother's day. my dad had to play both the role of a father and mother while paying all of the bills! we've had to sacrifice so much. you have no idea what your damage did to us." i told her and she looks offended.

"if you think your father is innocent in this situation, you're very wrong." she points at me.

"don't you dare try to talk shit about my father when he's been a better mother than you'll ever be. after everything that you did, he never told me any of the horrible things you did. i grew up thinking you were the perfect mother that i never got to meet because you passed away." i tell her before closing my eyes and taking a deep breath in. calm down, madison. "i see that you have more kids now."