iv

Humming. Soft familiar humming.

A wave of familiarity rushed over Sirius, he had had this dream plenty of times before, and it always ended with him waking up alone in his cell. He kept his eyes closed, he wouldn't let himself, no matter how tempting it might be to open them.

" Open your eyes, Sirius,"

Sirius only scowled and bared his teeth and squeezed his eyes shut, ignoring the lump in his throat and the urge to roar in rage.

She continued to hum to herself as her slender fingers ran through his hair. She had always done that, especially on lazy mornings when they would just lay in bed together.

He felt the mattress dip underneath her weight as she moved closer to him. She continued to play with his hair and sing softly. He knew the song by heart, he knew how she would sing it, he knew how her voice would sometimes crack on high notes and he knew how it would get rough on the low notes. To anyone else, her voice was nothing to rave about, but to him, it sounded like a choir of angels.

" C'mon Sirius, show me those beautiful eyes of yours," she teased with a slight chuckle.

His smile betrayed him and he couldn't resist so he opened his eyes despite his heart screaming at him not to.

Her warm russet eyes met his cool silver ones and her pink lips turned upward into a smile, " Hi." she said shyly.

Sirius said nothing and only watched her. She was as beautiful as the last time he saw her. Her dark brown curls were pulled back with a blue ribbon and she wore light yellow sundress complimented her tan skin. Thick dark lashes framed her large almond-shaped eyes.

Sirius reaches out to cup her cheek but stopped himself.

" You're not real,"

" You're not real," he repeated sternly. Sirius closed his eyes and took a deep breath, " You're not real..."

She sighed and went back to playing with his hair. " Well just because it's a dream doesn't make me any less real to you."

Sirius shook his head, " No, you're wrong."

" No, I'm not, I'm Evelyn- any question you ask I'll answer just as the real Evelyn would, you know that, because you know Evelyn, Sirius."

Sirius opened one eye and looked at her and she smiled down at him, " Now, what do you want to say to me, you've had plenty of time to think."

That was an understatement, he had had twelve years to form an apology, but he still wasn't sure how to say how sorry he really was. There were no words for how sorry he truly was.

" I'm sorry," he breathed, " I'm so sorry, I should've never left you. You begged me not to leave, but I was so angry and I did... I left you, and Ellie. Ellie grew up without a father because of me, we didn't get to be a family because of me- Because of me James and Lily are dead and Harry grew up without either of his parents- It's all my fault...and...and I'm wasting my breath... you're not real and..."

", It's all my fault," he whispered.

There was a moment of silence between the two, they stared each other down as if trying to read each other's thoughts.

"I forgive you,"

Sirius looked at her, " How?" he asked weakly, " How could you forgive me? After what I did?"