two

AVERY

"Mhm, thank you for another great dinner, Denise. Your pasta is my favorite." Lily smiles at Mom, who is cleaning up the kitchen table after another successful family dinner.

"You're very welcome, Lilian. I'm so glad that you joined us, it was such a lovely surprise." Mom wipes her hands across her apron and turns the sink on.

Everyone on our block still calls Lily by her full name, even her parents. I just can't picture her as Lilian. It's too proper for her wild behavior.

"You know me, always sneaking through Avery's window." Lily smirks my way. I can tell she's buttering my parents up for her grand scheme.

"I rented some movies from the video store that you guys can watch tonight." Dad offers while adjusting the glasses on his face. They tend to fall off a lot.

"Actually, Avery and I were going to have a sleepover at my house. My mom is baking her homemade apple pie tonight." Lily says while glancing back at me.  This is one of her infamous 'roll me with' situations. I hate when she drags me into her chaotic plans.

"Yeah, is that okay? Can I go?" I look back at Mom and pull a smile onto my lips.

"Of course it is, sweetie. You're twenty years old, you don't need to ask for our permission." Mom says with a grin.

"Thanks Mr. and Mrs. Whitestone, you guys are the best!" Lily rises to her feet and quickly grabs hold of my hand.

She pulls me out of the kitchen and makes her way into my bedroom. Once we're alone, she shuts my wooden door. "Mission accomplished."

"Keep your voice down, they can still hear you." I shush her.

"You think they would listen in on your conversation?" Her eyebrows raise.

"Maybe." I rub the back of my neck with my hand and look toward the closed door.

"Please, your mom and dad are the most innocent people I've ever met. They're the poster parents for the typical all - American family." Lily opens my closet and begins to rummage through it.

She isn't wrong, my parents are pretty innocent, which is where I get my mentality from. They don't smoke or drink, never curse, and always make sure we attend a Sunday mass at church. They value their faith and never steer off the wrong side of the tracks.

I've been raised to be the same way, even though my judgements are sometimes corrupted by my best friend. She's pretty much a Tasmanian devil hidden behind the mask of a five foot seven, black haired girl.

"All right, let's see what we're working with. Even though I already know the answer." Lily places a hand on her hip and pops it out.

"I told you, I don't need a makeover. I'm fine with the clothes I have." I reassure both her and myself.

Sometimes I get self conscious, especially when Lily and I sneak out for a night on the town. Lily is an inch taller than me, and has a perfectly flat stomach. She has long legs and skinny arms, unlike me. I'm a bit more curvy. That's simply the way my figure fell.

I try not to compare myself to her because, quite frankly, we're both beautiful, but it's different when it comes to guys. She's had a few boyfriends in the past, and has snuck out of her house to meet with boys from the local community college.

I've never had a serious relationship before and oftentimes boys look through me. I think it's because I'm a lot more reserved than Lily is, but that's simply the way I am.

"So then what are you going to wear?" She takes a step back and allows me to do the honors of looking through my closet.

I bite down on my lower lip and think for a moment. I look through the hangers and pull out a long polka dot dress that ends past my knees. "What about this?"