thirty nine

AVERY

I lean my head against the window of Lily's Ford and let out a deep breath. Her hands are gripped around the steering wheel as we drive through the streets of Los Angeles. We've been making small talk here and there, but I know she wants to ask me about what happened over the weekend.

There are many articles about Grayson and I leaving the award show together. They speculate that we hooked up, which clearly isn't true. The media has been writing hurtful articles about us and it's a nightmare to deal with. I know Danny has had a hard time with everything. It's not easy to read stories about your girlfriend rekindling with her ex.

I've reassured him that nothing happened between Grayson and I. Although that isn't entirely true because we did share a moment. He tried to kiss me and I stopped it from happening, but that's it. Danny has nothing to worry about, despite what the news says.

"Are you okay, A? You've been pretty quiet." Lily turns her head to look at me. She finally broke the silence in the vehicle.

"Yeah, I'm just tired." I continue to glance out the window.

"Are you still thinking about what went down this weekend?" She lowly mutters while slowing down at a traffic light.

"You mean with Grayson?" I cut to the chase, knowing that's what she wants to talk about.

"Yeah, you never told me what actually happened." She rubs her lips together and keeps her eyes on the road.

"Nothing happened. Don't believe everything you read in the papers." I remind her.

"Austin told me you went to his apartment."

"I did, but it wasn't like that-"

"Then what was it like?" She cuts me off.

"It's hard to explain." I press my lips into a line.

"Avery, you can tell me anything. I want you to be honest." Her voice softens as she lets out a sigh.

I look down at my hands and nervously gulp, knowing I can't hide anything from Lily. "Fine, Grayson and I had a moment and he tried to kiss me."

"He what?!" She shrieks while snapping her head to look my way.

"I didn't let it happen, don't worry. I pushed him away before he got too close." I quickly reassure her, but that doesn't make her any less shocked.

"Well, I'm glad that you did. He knows you have a boyfriend." She says with a horrified expression.

"I know, but we both were an emotional mess. I was practically crying in his arms." I sigh at how pathetic I am.

"Does Danny know that? What about Austin?"

"No, nobody knows. I want this to stay between us, please." I beg her.

"I won't say anything, but how could you put yourself in that situation? You know being alone with Grayson isn't a good idea."

"It was a moment of weakness, I couldn't help it. I guess I just needed the closure. I asked him why he cheated on me." My voice cracks as I recall the memory in my brain.

"And what did he say?" She clears her throat while stepping on the gas pedal.

"That he made a mistake. He said he lives with that guilt and regret every single day."  I gulp, knowing I can barely say the words out loud.

"As he should. He lost the best thing that's ever happened to him." Lily rolls her eyes.

"I know." I glance back at her.