forty

AVERY

Sometimes you have to face a crossroads. A standstill moment that interrupts the way your life is flowing. It cuts through the peace and harmony you are trying to find within yourself and others. You are met with two different paths, and you may be uncertain which one to follow.

There are a lot of fears that overpower your brain, and it might be extremely hard to get rid of them.

That's how I felt when Austin came home last night and told me Grayson was coming along on our double date. I didn't know what to do. I know I secretly wished for it to be Grayson instead of Ethan, but then I realized that's a disaster waiting to happen.

He assured me it was okay, that Grayson wants to make amends with both of us and leave the past in the past. However, I still felt numb by the thought. The question that I was faced with seemed simple: should I go? or should I cancel?

I debated it for three hours last night. Being close to Grayson is dangerous territory. I was hoping to shake him, but the other night in his apartment is still fresh in my mind.

He was so close to kissing me and that made my stomach turn. Every time I try to distract myself, my brain replays the memory on repeat.

I almost told Austin I didn't want to go, but then I thought about his feelings. He really likes Raven and is excited to get to know her better. He deserves a real shot at love, and I can play a small role in helping him achieve that.

That's why I'm currently standing inside of a small steakhouse in Downtown Los Angeles. We picked a restaurant that was under the radar. We didn't want paparazzi to show up and spread more rumors.

Raven looks stunning in her olive green mini dress. Her black hair is tied up into a slick ponytail and her makeup is to die for.

Dark smokey eyeshadow followed by nude colored lipstick matches her complexion perfectly. She knows how to work the room and many male employees are already staring at her.

Austin also looks his best tonight, so they compliment each other. He's wearing a white t-shirt tucked into ripped black jeans. I tried to style his hair, but it never cooperates.

I decided to put together a floral shirt with a denim skirt. It clearly got Grayson's attention because he's been staring at me the last twenty minutes.

I have to admit, he does look good tonight. His black tank top is showing off his tight body, and his long hair is pushed back. We said a quick hello and have been remaining cordial, but my nerves still increase whenever he's around me.

"Your table is ready." The hostess finally informs us. We've been waiting here for a half hour.

"Thank god, I'm starving." Austin smiles while snaking his arm around Raven's waist.

"This place has the best food, I always come here when I want to get away from everyone." The brunette smiles at him. I can tell she's a little nervous, but I'm hoping it's just first date jitters.

Grayson rubs his lips together as he takes a seat next to me. I try to slow my breathing, but it's only getting heavier.

I look around the restaurant and see that the lighting is very dim. The brick walls are painted red and there's records hanging across them. It has a vintage vibe.

"I love the aesthetic." Grayson says, also taking notice of the decor.

"Yeah, it's very rock 'n' roll." I nod and glance back at him.

"The security makes sure the paparazzi isn't in sight. I've had my fair share of terrible encounters with photographers, so it's nice to be free of them for an evening." Raven says while looking at me.