five

AVERY

I put a paper cup under the soda machine and allow sprite to pour into it. Placing the lid on the cover and adding a straw, I hand it to the teenage boy in front of me. "Anything else I could get you?"

"Yeah, peanut m&m's please." He requests.

"The original is so much better." Lily adds her commentary by leaning against the glass counter. She's popping a hot tamale into her mouth and sucking on the candy.

"Don't listen to her." I scowl at my best friend and hand the boy his m&m's. "Is that it?"

"Actually, I'll take the original instead." He eyes my best friend up and down, a smirk is forming on his face.

Lily's lips create a smile as she raises an eyebrow up. "See? I told you."

I quickly switch the candy and let out a sigh. "Anything else?"

"That's it." He pulls his wallet out of his pocket.

"Three dollars and sixty five cents."

He hands me the money and I give him his change back. He happily takes his soda and candy and hurries off down the hallway.

"I love corrupting the youth of America." Lily pops another red candy into her mouth.

"He wasn't the youth, he was fifteen." I roll my eyes.

"Who cares?" She laughs and looks back at me.

"You shouldn't even be here right now." I point out while grabbing a rag from underneath the counter and wiping down the glass shelf.

"Why not? The movie theater is dead, you've had five customers the entire day."

"Because everyone is at the beach. I'm shocked you're not lounging out on your patio."

"I wanted to spend some quality time with my best friend." She lets out a laugh.

"We're going to be spending a lot of quality time together this weekend, aren't we?" I mutter.

"So glad you remembered. Should we hit up the mall before the party? I want to look my best."

"How many leather skirts can you possibly buy? Trust me, you have enough clothes." I laugh and shake my head.

"Well, what about you? Maybe you should try to find another polka dot dress. Grayson was clearly into it." A smirk forms on her face as she looks at me.

"If I hear the word polka dot come out of your mouth one more time." I roll my eyes and laugh.

"I'm trying to get you into your first real relationship, Avery. George from eighth grade doesn't count." Lily throws her hands up in defense.

"He was my first kiss and we went out for three months, I'm pretty sure he does count." I put the rag back underneath the counter once I'm done cleaning everything. My next task is to re-stack the candy.

"Agree to disagree." She shakes her head.

"Why are you talking about relationships? Grayson is not going to be my boyfriend."

"You say that now, but it could happen." I watch her toss the hot tamales box into the trash can.

"Why? Do you honestly believe you and drummer boy are going to go out? Lily, they're troubled guys. They are with a new girl every week. It's the territory of being in a rock band, the word loyalty isn't in their vocabulary." I hit her with the truth, knowing she needs to hear it.