forty one

GRAYSON

I look around the gorgeous dining hall in awe. There's friends and family members running around to make sure everything is going smoothly. It's going to be a crazy day but I wasn't expecting anything less.

Since it's Landon and Lily's wedding rehearsal, there are a lot of strict instructions. We are making sure everything goes well for the big day. The wedding coordinator is talking to the bride and groom to be, telling them where to stand and how to walk in.

We are two days away from the ceremony, which means we're only three days away from the rock 'n' roll benefit concert in San Diego.

We have been working our asses off to conquer this performance. I'm taking it very seriously, and so are the rest of the boys. My focus has been better than ever and I'm extremely motivated.

Honestly, the double date I went on the other night opened up a new door for my relationships with both Avery and Austin. As much as it hurts me deep down, I'm glad Avery and I decided to be friends.

She will never fully be out of my life, especially since her and Austin are so close. I'm fine with being civil and maintaining a small friendship.

The tension between us has shifted and the past is slowly becoming a distant memory. It's better off if we keep it that way.

My eyes latch onto her talking to Lily's mother. She's laughing at something she said, and I can see her cheeks turning red. It's nice to see her so happy.

Her orbs suddenly shift to me, and I realize I've been busted. I quickly look down at my shoes and scratch the back of my neck.

Moments later, Avery is walking my way. She lightly grins as she gets closer to where I'm standing. "Hey there."

"Hey, how are you?" I politely grin. We haven't spoken yet today, and I can feel my heart rate increasing.

"Busy, there's a lot of things to prepare for. I heard that we're going to practice the entrance now." She informs me.

"We start it off, so we better be good." I tease her.

"Or else we'll feel the wrath of Lily." She laughs.

"And Landon. He's just as crazy about making everything perfect as she is."

"Well, I don't blame them. They want their wedding to be spectacular, I would feel the same way." She says while looking around the crowded room.

"Me too." I reply, simply because I feel like agreeing. I don't have any real plans to get married. I never did, but that all changed when I met Avery. She's the only woman that would be worth forever.

The man coordinating the wedding snaps me out of my thoughts by clapping his hands together.

"Everyone, listen up. We are going to practice the entrances now. The maid of honor and best man will walk out first, the rest of the wedding party will join them." He turns to look at Avery and I.

"I want you two to link arms and walk in at a medium pace. Not too fast, but not too slow. We will practice it now with the music. Everyone line up!" He twirls his finger in the air and marches away from us.

"That's our cue." Avery says, and I laugh.

"Remember to walk at a medium pace." I tease as a giggle escapes her lips.

"Or we could just run down the aisle."

"How mad do you think he would be if we started sprinting?" I glance at the stressed out man. He looks like a chicken running around without his head.