seven

AVERY

"I can't believe we're late." Lily mumbles under her breath while getting into the driver's seat of her brother's Cadillac.

"It's not my fault the car was on E. Good thing we found this gas station before we broke down, that would have been a mess." I shake my head and cross my arms over my white t-shirt.

"I didn't know my brother forgot to fill it up. I just hope we didn't miss anything exciting at the party." The engine roars as she turns the vehicle back on. With one glance over her shoulder, Lily pulls out of the parking lot and heads over to the apartment complex.

"Trust me, we didn't." I sigh and anxiously tap my fingers across the crease in my light denim jeans.

"We'll never know." She shakes her head and glances back at me. "I can't believe you're wearing that."

"I already told you ten times, I wasn't changing." I look out the window and see the large buildings pass us by.

"You look like a 1950s greaser." Lily points out while sighing.

"Like your outfit is any better." I mutter.

She's wearing a leather jacket with a red tank top underneath. The black leather pants on her legs look extremely tight and uncomfortable. I'm perfectly content with my outfit choice, despite what my best friend says.

"What's wrong with it?" She glances down at the jacket.

"You're trying way too hard and you know it." I pull my bottom lip between my teeth and shake my head.

"I want to make a good impression." She says while turning down a narrow street.

"With who? Ethan? Lily, give it up." I state the honest truth.

"Not just Ethan." She lies while gripping onto the steering wheel. "What's the apartment number again?"

I pull the flyer out of my pocket and look down at the address. "It's seventy five."

"Got it." Lily nods and makes a left turn.

My eyes widen at the cars lined up along the sidewalk. I can already hear loud music thumping as I glance at the brick building to the right of me. People are walking toward it with six packs and boom boxes on their shoulders.

"Looks like a packed party." Lily turns to smirk at me.

"How fun." I sarcastically mumble under my breath and lean my head against the window.

"We'll park down the street and walk." She announces and turns the Cadillac down another block.

I nod my head and inhale a deep breath, knowing we are in way over our heads attending a party this big and wild. I feel like we have no business being here.

My heart rate increases when Lily parks the car down a random street across from the complex. She squeals with happiness while getting out of the driver's seat.

"Come on!" She says while rushing down the street.

"Oh boy." I mumble and run after her. I refuse to let her wander off and leave me behind. I wouldn't be at this party if it wasn't for her.

When I finally catch up, she links her arm through mine. I can feel the excitement radiating off her body, that's how happy she is. We follow the crowd of college girls up to the party.

The music only gets louder, and when we enter the apartment, it's a crowded mess. It's a bit smaller than I anticipated, so it's a shock to see all of these people crammed in one area.