thirteen

AVERY

Wind blows through my messy blonde curls as the sun beams down on my skin. This beautiful weather always makes me feel at peace. Today everyone is playing music on their boomboxes or tossing a frisbee with their loved ones. It's the definition of the perfect summer day, and I'm spending it with Grayson.

He's sitting across from me, his broad body is outstretched as he leans his elbow on the white blanket we're sitting on. His hands reach for the picnic basket separating us, and he pulls a green grape out of the container.

"Think you can catch this grape in your mouth?" He concentrates on the food in his hand.

"Uh, I can try." I let out a giggle.

"I believe in you." He laughs and sits up.

"Seems easy enough." I shrug.

"If you can catch it, I'll take you back to the ice cream shop we went to on our first date and get you whatever flavor you want." He tempts me.

"Wow, bribing me with ice cream. I like it." I laugh and look directly at him. "What happens if I don't?"

He nods his head toward the pink notebook in my lap. "Then you have to show me what you've been writing for the past hour."

My eyes slightly widen as I glance down at my song book. I brought it with me to get some inspiration for new songs. I've written a few lyrics since being here, but they aren't anything special. Mostly my new and raw feelings for the man in front of me.

"I'm determined to catch it." I clear my throat.

"I have to know that we have a deal first. If you don't get it, my eyes are allowed to see what's going through your head."

"It isn't a diary, it's a song book." I mutter while looking back at him.

"Even better." A smirk forms on his lips. "Ready?"

"Uh, I guess." I gulp and nod my head.

He inhales a breath and holds the grape up. The second he tosses it in my direction, I maneuver my head and try my hardest to have it land in my mouth. I fail miserably when it falls behind me and lands on the grass.

"No!" I shriek in defeat.

"Victory is mine." He bites down on his lower lip and reaches for my song book.

"Grayson, come on. Those are private thoughts." I try to grab it first, but his hands are too quick.

"I just want to look at one song. Please?" He flashes me puppy dog eyes, and I hate when he does that. It makes my knees go weak. I nervously gulp and nod my head.

"Fine." I give into his scheme, even though it'll lead me to pure embarrassment. "One song."

His smile resembles a five year old as he glances down at the pages. He clears his throat and begins to read my lyrics out loud. "Dark hair, wild eyes. You really took me by surprise. Memories made, nothing is the same since I met you. Feeling alive, escaping the truth. I never thought I would meet someone so smooth. Living the life, dreaming inside. I hope your love will never die."

I bite down on my lower lip and feel my insides turning. Before he can read anymore, I grab the book out of his hand and hold onto it for dear life.

"Hey, I was looking at that!" He laughs and glances my way.

"That's all I wrote so far." I gulp and look at the lyrics.

"That's pretty solid, Avery. It has a nice flow to it."