twenty eight

GRAYSON

"We have some more updates on the music industry's latest scandals. Rock band Red Hot are no strangers to controversy within the past few weeks. Their drummer Ethan Dolan just escaped jail time for driving while intoxicated and now the band is faced with another tragedy,"

"Lead singer Austin Starr overdosed on heroin at their home in the Hills. The event took place just a few days ago on New Year's Eve, where bassist Grayson Dolan and his girlfriend, pop singer Avery Whitestone, found him unconscious in his bedroom,"

"Luckily, these boys always seem to face miracles. Starr was revived in the ambulance ride over to the hospital. After two shots of adrenaline to the heart, he was wide awake and breathing again. The singer is currently at a hospital in Los Angeles recovering from the overdose."

The news anchor gives the report on live television, and I flinch at his words. Everywhere we go, people are talking about us. And not in the way we want.

All of the news channels and radio stations have been gossiping about the tragedy. We're now known as the band "who keeps cheating death." That's a weird way to put it, but I guess the media is right.

It's a miracle Ethan and Lily didn't die in the Porsche, and it's an even bigger miracle that Austin went from being a dead corpse to breathing on his own again.

After the first shot of adrenaline to his heart did nothing, he was pronounced dead. But then the amazing paramedic in the ambulance hit him with another dose, and Austin shot right up. We were told he was gasping for air and calling out for me and Avery.

Apparently if we waited any longer, he would have been dead. The doctor said he just fell unconscious about one minute before we went up to check on him.

The door to his hospital room opens, and a female nurse walks out. She looks at the five of us anxiously sitting in the waiting room. "You guys can go in and see him now."

"Great, thank you." I rise to my feet and hold onto Avery's hand. She's been crying since the incident happened.

Landon, Lily, Ethan, Avery and I slowly walk into the room. Austin is sitting up in the bed with an IV attached to his arm. I think I see a tube running up to his thigh, but I try not to look much.

We've seen him since the overdose, but were told he would be the most sedated today. He's been on fluids to get the drugs out of his system. I heard they also pumped his stomach.

Vincent uses this time to sneak into the room, and I arch a brow up at him. I hope he doesn't use this opportunity to lecture us about our recent behavior. This wouldn't be the appropriate setting.

"Austin, how are you feeling?" Avery gets close to him on the bed and gently gives him a hug.

"I'm feeling a little better. I actually have some energy now." He says while embracing her.

"It's because all of the drugs left your body." Ethan clears his throat.

"I was so worried about you." Avery peers down at him with tears in her eyes.

"Aw, Avery, don't worry about me. I'm still here." He sends her a weak grin.

"Austin, you almost weren't. You were pronounced dead." She says with a shaky voice.

"Yeah, that was an eye-opener." He slowly nods while glancing my way.

"I'm so glad you're alive, man." I admit to him.

"You were right, Gray. And I'm so fucking sorry I attacked you." He gulps, and I can see pain in his eyes.

"I just want to help you, I don't want this to happen ever again. Almost losing you forever was scary." I sigh.