twenty

AVERY

october 5th, 1983

I slowly walk up to the full-body mirror in my dressing room. The three-inch heels placed on my feet cause me to wobble a bit, but I steady my balance and let out a breath. My eyes take in every single detail of my appearance.

My blonde hair is tied up into a neat and tight ponytail. My face is filled with shiny makeup and a nude-colored lipstick. My dress is... way out of my comfort zone, but I still admire it.

Even though it's long sleeved, the bottom half is short and my thighs are fully exposed. The black attire covering my body has spikes and rhinestones all over it, and it shines under bright lights.

I inhale a breath and run my hands over the hard material. This is it. Today is the day that I have been dreaming of since I was a little girl. Our U.S tour is starting, and we are kicking it off at my dream venue. The Forum in my hometown of Inglewood.

I didn't think it was possible, but I turned into the happy and confident alter ego that I always dreamed of becoming. When I first put this dress on, I was intimidated by how it looked on my body.

But the more I stare at myself, the more I realize that I am no longer that scared girl. I need to own my confidence and my worth.

The past few months were a whirlwind. The boys and I have been rehearsing every day to make this the best tour ever. I'm a lot more confident in my stage presence, even though I still get nervous. I've had amazing coaches to help me through my stage fright.

I've also been performing at local bars, and released a few songs to help get my fans excited about my debut album. It's still being recorded, but they don't mind waiting for the finished product.

Angels and Demons was the number one album on the rock 'n' roll charts for eight weeks, and we celebrated the achievement every night.

The boys have been splurging with their money, which means more drugs and bigger parties, they even bought a mansion in the Hills together. They make music every night and never stop working. Lily and I are there all the time, so we practically live with them.

Grayson and I are still going strong and he makes me the happiest woman alive. We always support each other no matter what, and he always praises me for making him a better man.

Although, without him, I wouldn't be about to perform for thousands of fans. He changed me for the better, and I'm so grateful for him.

Now, we're about to embark on a brand new journey together. Night one of fifty shows. I can feel my nerves swirling as I step away from the mirror and begin pacing back and forth. I mutter a few prayers, and hope for the best.

A low knock sounds on the door, and I turn my head. Lily peeks inside my dressing room and her eyes widen when she sees me.

"Oh my gosh, you look amazing." She covers her mouth with her hand.

"I'm embracing my new look." I smile and step closer to her.

"This is even better than leather." She giggles and holds onto my hand. "Seriously, you look beautiful."

"Thank you, I'm nervous." I gulp and try to shake out my nerves.

"Don't be, you're going to do amazing. This is your big moment, A. I'm beyond proud of you, you've been working so hard." Lily brightly smiles at me.

"How's the crowd?" I bite down on my lower lip.

"Huge, and loud." She smirks.

"And where are the boys?" I nervously gulp.