eight

AVERY

I clutch onto the steering wheel during our twenty five minute drive back to Inglewood. My head is reeling at the thought that Grayson Dolan, the hot bass player that girls scream over, has a random interest in me. Out of every girl in the state of California, why me? Because I'm different?

That doesn't make me likable, it makes me a respected woman who doesn't throw herself at men just because they're on the road to stardom. My mind keeps replaying his words in my head. Like a record player, they trace over my brain.

Lily is ecstatic in the passenger seat of her brother's Cadillac. She's pretty intoxicated, but still remembers every detail of the conversation Grayson and I shared in his bedroom.

"I still can't believe he said that!" She screams and throws her hands up. "Avery, that is so cool!"

"You think?" I giggle and shake my head at her drunk behavior.

"Yes! Are you kidding? Grayson Dolan is into you, I can't believe it."

"I wouldn't say he's into me, he was probably just horny." My eyes roll to the back of my head.

"Look at you using dirty words." She pretends to gasp, knowing it's unlike me to say such a thing.

"Oh, shush. You know I'm right."

"No, that's not it. He was hoping you would show up to the party tonight. He has an interest in you." She goes back at me.

"Maybe, but that doesn't make sense." I pull my bottom lip between my teeth.

My mind flashes back to the conversation. The way he was looking at me causes my stomach to turn inside out. I've never had a boy look at me the way he was.

"What do you mean? Why not?" Lily snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Because he's a hot and mysterious bass player and I'm me." I admit with a sad sigh.

"So? You're a gorgeous, funny, talented singer. You guys are more alike than you think."

"Not exactly." I shrug it off.

"You have to go out with him." She encourages it.

"Lily, I can't do that." I let out a deep breath.

"Why not? Have you seen him?! You just admitted he was hot." She gushes while leaning back in the seat.

"He's still a player, he doesn't actually want to settle down. You saw Ethan and Austin swapping spit with at least five different girls. It'll get worse once they become more popular around here. I won't subject myself to that." And I'll stick to my morals no matter what. No rockstar can change my mind.

"Grayson stayed in his room the entire party, he didn't even come out to use the bathroom. I think he might be different from his stage persona." Lily states while looking out the window. "And don't remind me about Ethan, it's still bothering me." She angrily crosses her arms over her leather jacket.

"Why? You knew he was a jerk." I roll my eyes.

Lily needs to get over her fascination with Ethan, he doesn't have an interest in her. She tried to get his attention and he didn't look up from the girl sitting on his lap. She shouldn't be upset over it, that's simply the way he is.

"A hot jerk." She groans.

"His looks may get him far, but his rude personality won't. Same with Grayson." I make sure she knows her worth, and it isn't with Ethan.

"We don't really know his personality." She defends him.

"And we probably never will."

"I just wanted Ethan to notice me, especially tonight." Lily pouts.