twenty four

AVERY

december 10th, 1983

There have been many happy moments in my life. Moments of peace, moments of clarity, moments of love. Recently, I've experienced all of the happiness that life could offer me. I've felt joy, I've felt serenity, I've felt relief. Yet nothing in the world can comprehend the emotions that I am feeling right now.

Madison Square Garden, New York's most famous arena, is singing me happy birthday. Thousands of fans are using their voice to honor and celebrate my twenty one years of life. Their lighters are out and swaying back and forth, and I'm crying like a little baby.

My hand is squeezing onto Grayson's, as Austin and Landon roll out a huge vanilla cake with pink frosting. Candles are glowing on top of it, and I instantly smile. Ethan and Lily are carrying in big bottles of champagne, along with glasses.

My heart bursts with joy at the sight. When the crowd finishes singing, and the cake gets placed in front of me, I place my hand over my mouth.

"Happy birthday Avery!" The boys and Lily shout.

"Make a wish, babe." Grayson smiles at me.

A wish? What more could I possibly wish for? I have everything I ever dreamed of. I'm financially stable and recording my first album, I have amazing friends and a boyfriend who I love dearly, and I'm currently standing in the middle of the country's most popular arena. My fans are screaming birthday wishes at me, and my parents are smiling proudly from the audience. I don't need to wish for anything this year. I blow out the candles and everyone around me claps.

"And now it's time for a drink!" Austin pops the champagne bottle open, and I can't help but giggle.

"To our younger fans, look away for a second." Ethan says with a smirk while talking into the microphone.

Lily hands me a glass filled with bubbly champagne, and I hold it proudly in my hand.

"To twenty one years, and many more. We love you Avery!" My best friend shouts as we all click our glasses together.

Ethan hands Grayson the microphone, and he turns to face the crowd. "Thank you all for taking this moment to celebrate my beautiful girlfriend's birthday!"

The large audience screams and claps at Grayson's words, and it's a heartwarming feeling. This has been the best birthday ever.

"I love you guys." I pout and wrap my arms around Lily. Landon and Austin join in with our group hug, and I laugh.

"We'll party more later." Austin sends me a wicked smirk while whispering into my ear.

"Oh, totally." Ethan looks back at me.

"C'mon, A. Let's head out." Lily holds onto my hand as we walk off the stage. Our tour crew takes the alcohol and the cake, and I quickly kiss Grayson's lips before I exit.

"MSG, are you guys ready to fucking rock?! Let's end this night with a bang!" Austin shouts, and thousands of people scream out in happiness.

I already sang Here Comes The Sun and Hallelujah with them, so I'm done for today's show. The energy in the room tonight was magnificent, it was definitely the best night of the tour.

Lily drags me to the back hallway and pulls a flask out of her leather jacket. "I'm ready to get wasted." She pours the liquor down her throat.

"What's in that?" I laugh and shake my head.

"Whisky, it really gets that buzz going. Ethan and I have been drinking it all night." She takes another sip before passing me the flask.

I grab it and gulp it down, feeling the alcohol burn my throat. It's a taste I'm growing familiar with.