forty two

AVERY

"I'm nervous." Lily states while exhaling a deep breath.

As I watch the makeup artist apply glossy lipstick to her mouth, I stare at my beautiful best friend in awe. I completely disregard what she just said because I'm too focused on her wedding dress.

The white gown has a pattern of lace flowers across it. The long sleeves are off the shoulder, and there's a long train that connects to it.

Her black hair is in a curly updo, and the veil covering her face is the perfect size.

I take in every detail of her dress, knowing it's pure perfection. I've seen it a million times, but now that Lily has her makeup and hair done, it's all coming together.

"A, did you hear me?" She speaks up, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Lily, you look stunning. Seriously, everything about you is perfect." I compliment her with a wide smile.

"I'm still nervous." She sighs while biting down on her lower lip.

"Why are you nervous?" My eyes widen as I stare at her.

"Because this is the big day, everything needs to run smoothly."

"And it will. You aren't having second thoughts, are you?" I slightly furrow my eyebrows in fear.

"No, of course not. I can't wait to marry Landon. For some reason, I still feel nervous. What if I trip when I'm walking down the aisle?" She starts to breathe heavier, panic is growing on her face.

"Lily, calm down. You won't trip down the aisle. Everything will be okay, I promise you." I sit down across from her and squeeze onto her hand.

"You're right, I'm just paranoid." She sighs before looking at my appearance. "Gosh, you look so beautiful."

"Thanks to your maid of honor dress." I lightly smirk.

My gown for the ceremony is absolutely breathtaking. It's a gorgeous light baby blue color. The straps hang off the shoulder and the patterns are stunning.

My dark hair is pinned up and my makeup compliments my dress to perfection. Lily did a great job picking it out.

"Danny is going to go crazy when he sees you." She pauses for a moment before lowering her voice. "And so will Grayson."

"Grayson?" I nervously gulp at the mention of his name.

"Yes, don't act so surprised. I saw you two dancing at the rehearsal, there was chemistry there."

"No there wasn't." I simply state, hoping she changes the subject.

"Look, what Grayson did to you was disgustingly horrible. However, he has been pretty great lately. All of his brooding darkness seemed to vanish. Landon said he's been motivated and trying to turn his life around. I think you somehow helped with that."

"How?" I furrow my eyebrows in a confused manner.

"Just by being in his life again." My best friend shrugs her shoulders.

"This wedding is the reason for that." I say under my breath.

"I'm glad you guys are being civil, it means a lot to me." Lily lightly smiles.

"Me too." I inhale a breath and nod at her.

Honestly, the past two days have been an internal struggle for me. Dancing with Grayson felt a little too comfortable.

I liked the way our bodies connected and how he tightly held onto me. It was like he never wanted to let go.

For a second, I thought about kissing him, until I stopped myself. I realized it was wrong and snapped out of it. I'm in a relationship with Danny, a man who makes me happy.