eighteen

AVERY

"Miss. Whitestone, they're ready to see you now." A short woman with black hair sends me a friendly smile while opening a glass door.

I nod my head and clutch onto my purse. I nervously follow the assistant down a long hallway. My eyes stay focused on the deep blue carpet underneath my heels. The pounding of my heart is only growing, and I'm trying to control my breathing.

After waiting for twenty minutes, it's finally time for my meeting with Mick Hanson and the rest of his team.

When Grayson came home from the Comatose music video, he was extremely angry and upset that Vincent tried to bribe him. He knew it wasn't worth it for me to sign with Elektra, especially after that.

Even though it sucks we won't be working together, Grayson was looking out for me and my future. I appreciate that so much.

When I walk into the room, I see many unfamiliar faces. Men and women in polished business suits are sitting around a table. Good thing I put my blonde hair up in a bun and wore a navy dress. Lily's white pearls are placed on my neck.

"There she is, our future star." Mick states while nodding toward a chair. "Please, have a seat."

I politely smile and sit down at the round gray table. I look at each producer, and feel intimidated. Most of them are known for working with famous celebrities in Hollywood.

"Avery, we are so thrilled that you considered our offer of signing you to our label." Mick says with a grin.

"Well, I appreciate the opportunity." I smile

"We listened to the demos you sent in and read over your original songs. They were brilliant, and I feel that many young women will relate to your lyrics." A woman speaks up while glancing down at my portfolio.

I sent Warner Records a few recordings of myself singing my original songs, along with the sheet music. They were very pleased with what they saw.

"That's always been my goal. I want people to relate to my music, especially women. That's very important to me." I nod my head.

"And I think that will be a strong point with your music. You will easily become a role model." She smiles.

All of this information is crazy to me. The fact that I could be a role model to young girls is surreal. I'm still having a hard time comprehending the fact that I'm about to sign my first record deal.

"We've already invested money in studio time for you to put together an album. We think your songs Not Like Her and Rollercoaster Love will climb the pop charts. That disco edge is very popular right now." Mick says while looking at my musical discography.

"Those are my two favorites, anyway. I would like them to be lead singles." Wow, I can't believe that sentence just came out of my mouth.

"Oh, definitely. We want you to record those first." Another man nods.

"I have a lot of faith in you, Avery. You will soon become a pop sweetheart. Your cute personality will make you likable, and that's exactly what you want to be. How is your stage presence?" The woman jots down some notes.

"Something I'm still working on. I'm not used to performing live." I admit to her.

"We'll have to fix that, then. As you record the album, we'll have to book a few local gigs so people can see you sing."

"It helps that your boyfriend is in a popular rock 'n' roll band." Another woman chimes in.

"I could get in touch with Red Hot's management and see if they could arrange for you to open up for them, it could be your way in." Mick says.