18 | How to shop for the sick

Husna was sitting on her bed as she kept smiling to herself over what happened an hour ago. Islam would forever be crazy. Or maybe it was just the abroad life in her.

Husna couldn't hide it anymore and broke in to laughter.

"What's so funny?" Islam asked from where she stood in front of the mirror fixing her hijab.

"What you did earlier!" Husna answered amidst laughter.

Islam knew what she was talking about, so she just shrugged and smiled.

Husna started scrolling through Instagram, and immediately something caught her attention.

"Islam look at this. I'm really afraid of this world. A guy had an accident in a countryside and no one was able to help. He called his parents who were five hours drive away from the place and told them he had an accident and he's losing so much blood but none of the cars passing by tried to stop. Every one was just running on high speed."

Islam's forehead made a v. "Why wouldn't they stop?"

"Lots of kidnappings happening in the area. So they were afraid, lest they stop and ended up getting kidnapped." Husna explained.

"...and oh my God the car doesn't even look like one. It's terrible!" She added. Pity was spread all over her face.

Islam moved towards the bed were Husna was and collected the phone. She squinted her eyes a bit. The plate number looked similar to her. Suddenly realisation hits, as she let out a gasp.

"What?" Husna asked confused.

"Please have they shown the guy's face?" She politely asked.

"Yeah let me see." Husna collected the phone and scrolled upward, then handed it back to Islam. It was a pic-mix of his picture before and after the accident.

Indeed Islam knew the plate number, indeed it was the guy she crashed in to with Juhaif's range rover. The one that said he was Juhaif's friend.

"Does your brother know?"

"Why?"

"I think they are friends!" Islam mumbled.

***

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have told you." Husna found herself apologizing to Juhaif, upon seeing how worried he looked.

Juhaif kept pacing up and down his room, then he started making calls, Husna's feet were glued to the ground, she was feeling guilty. She never knew this so-called friend of his was so important to him.

He then called out to the phone, "Which hospital is that?"

"Okay will be heading there ASAP. By God's will." He then made way to the bedside drawer. Husna knew what he would do there!

He picked his car key and that's when she called out his name "Yaya...." She couldn't finished.

"What? Want to tag along?" He asked.

She looked down before simply nodding her head.

"Okay!" He whispered dejectedly.

"But, i'll have to go up and get dressed, then inform Islam as well."

She watched as his face flinched on mentioning Islam's name.

He really isn't a fan of her. That she could tell!

She quickly ran upstairs.

"Islam he's heading there, to the hospital the guy been admitted at, he said we can come with him."

Islam heaved out a sigh before moving towards the wardrobe.

"What will you wear?" Husna asked.

"Oh just a kimono!" She replied.

Husna nodded, "Guess I'll go for same."

With that she brought out a beige kimono as Islam settled on an ash one.

Husna finished her look with a brown veil neatly wrapped over her head while Islam lazily wrapped over a navy blue hijab making sure none of her hair showed.

Husna went over to the rack and grabbed a flat shoe as Islam grabbed a sneaker. They sauntered out and Islam remembered she needed a satchel, she quickly came back and grab a new scarf and put in one of her satchels before carrying it along with her and getting downstairs.

"You can have the front seat, for me it's either the driver's or back seat. There's no in between. I have the front seat phobia apart from flight phobia." Husna whispred to Islam's ears.

Islam had to widen her eyes at that. For that disease was something she never once heard of, and was sure Husna made it up.

***

"So which hospital is that?" Husna asked from the back seat.

"Abuja National hospital." He answered.

"But why are we here? We should have went down the bridge, why are we flying it over?" Husna asked.

Islam thought he won't answer but to her dismay he did, "We'll drop by at the mall. We can't go empty handed!"

They reached the mall and Juhaif pulled over.

On entering there it was a little bit busy. There were quite many people in there trying to shop and all.

"Can we split please? So as to make it a bit faster?" He requested.

"What and what are we buying?" Husna asked.

"Should be asking you that." He replied.

"Okay how about flowers, perfumes, fruits and veggies then maybe toiletries?" Islam suggested.

Juhaif's face was tight as ever, he just said, "I will get the perfumes along with toiletries."

Islam decided to go for flowers while Husna headed towards groceries for the greens and fruits.

***

On reaching there, they were told he was in the ICU and they couldn't enter. When one of the doctors came and saw Juhaif, he was like "I thought you are the doctor in charge?"

Juhaif shook his head at him.

"Why so? You might really be of a great help."

Juhaif smiled sadly and whispered a no. "I really can't. By the way how is he feeling?"

"Oh you haven't seen him? Okay this way please." He asked Juhaif to follow him.

"Or are you together with the girls?" He asked.

Juhaif nodded but quickly added "Don't worry they don't have to see him."

***

Juhaif was awfully silent through out the journey back home. Anyone could tell he was forlornly sad, he appeared to be heartbroken. That was one of his good friends.

The way he saw him, shattered his heart.

The girls had no idea that he saw him paralysed. The only nutrition he was getting was the IV nutrition and from what Juhaif saw he's afraid he couldn't make it. He had lost so much blood.