Chapter 17

The week after Regina's birthday Zelena returned to London. We all had a great time together. I think Zelena and I may actually have ended up friends.
It's been 3 months now since Regina and I have been living together and things are great. I've been putting in a lot of hours at Granny's lately. She's sorta taken me under her wing so to speak. She's been teaching me all there is to running a business as far as the paperwork, inventory, ordering. Plus the cashing out and balancing the registers. I've also asked her to show me a few things in the kitchen. She's been showing me some recipes and how to cook. She showed me one recipe that I'd like to try to make for Regina some time.
Today has been a strange day. Granny had me help her with her recipes in the kitchen then her and Ruby had to leave. For the first time I was in charge of the diner and kitchen till the tonight's head cook gets here.  Surprisingly things went well after Granny left. Our kitchen staff know what their doing, which is great for me. All I had to do was help whenever the cooks or the waitresses got backed up. Finally the night cook showed up along with the closing manager. I ended up leaving 20 minutes late but I think things went well. Hopefully Granny will think so as well. I go grab my stuff out of my locker and I text Regina before I leave to ask if she wants any dinner from Granny's before I leave. She texted me back and wrote she was fine and dinner was ready whenever I get home. I hope she's not mad that I'm a little late. I didn't like how she wrote -whenever I get home-   I know I have been putting in more hours at the diner but she knows I like it. I decided I didn't wanna try the deputy thing just yet, I wanted to try this restaurant thing first. I drive home and walk in the front door. "Hey babe I'm home".  I don't hear anything and all the lights are out. "Shit she must be pissed at me for coming home late".  I go into the kitchen and don't see anything. Everything looks clean and put away. Shit. I let out a breath and head upstairs to shower and change. I walk into the bedroom and Regina is in there laying in bed reading. "Hey babe sorry I'm late. Granny and Ruby both had to leave early and I wanted to make sure things were fine before I left. I'm really sorry I missed the dinner you cooked".  "It's not a big deal my love. It was just dinner".  I walk over and give her a kiss. "I love you babe. I'm gonna go take a shower ok?"   "Ok my love. I'll go heat up your dinner".  "Sounds great babe. Thank you".  We kiss again and I gather some clothes and go take a shower. When I'm done and changed I come back into the bedroom and Regina wasn't there. I walked downstairs and into the kitchen. The lights were off and no food to be found. I thought, ok a little weird but maybe Gina might be in the living room. So I walk in there. Still no lights.  What the hell is going on. I turn on the lights and holy shit !!!!  "SURPRISE".   It was Regina and a small gathering of our friends. Even Zelena was there. "Oh my god what the hell is going on?"   Regina walks up to me, gives me a kiss and wraps her arms around me. "Emma my love we never got to celebrate your birthday. You treated me to the best birthday I've ever had and I wanted you have a wonderful birthday as well. It's a few months late but this is all for you. We all love you Emma. Happy belated birthday my love".  She kisses me and everyone claps. We separate and I get hugs from everyone in the room.  Zelena was the first, then Granny and Ruby and all the rest. I've never really felt so loved before. Once all the hugs were done I was showed to the small buffet. Granny made a few of my favorites dishes plus some finger sandwiches. Regina made her lasagna and some garlic sticks. I had a little of everything and I loved it all. When we were finishing up eating Regina stood up and clapped her hands a few times.  "Ok everyone I think it's time for Emma's birthday presents".  As I'm opening my gifts we hear the door bell. Regina goes to answer the door while I continue on. A moment later we hear yelling. I quickly get up to go see what's happening. Zelena is right behind me.  We find Regina arguing with her mother Cora. "Mother get the hell out of here. You are not invited. Leave now".  "Regina what's going on?"  I ask. "Cora here thinks she can just show up at our home whenever she feels like it but she is no longer welcome in my life anymore. Not after the way she's treated and acted my whole life". Cora cut her off from speaking. "Regina my dear please I'm just here to wish your friend a happy birthday".  "Girlfriend mother, girlfriend. Emma Swan is my girlfriend. We live together, we share our lives together and you can't even use her name. Why are you really here?  You lost the case with daddy's will. He gave you more than you deserved. You know what? I'm done with this. If you really came to wish Emma a happy birthday then do it and go. I can't deal with you any longer".  Cora looks at me and says. "Happy birthday Miss Swan. Here, this is for you".  She hands me a a box and I look at Regina before I take it and say.  "Ahh. Thanks Cora".  I say in an unsure voice. I have no idea what's going on right now. I look at Zelena and she looks as confused as I am. Regina just looks pissed like she could burn her mother with just one look of her eyes. "Well that's all I came here for so I guess I'll get going now".  I say. "Thanks again Cora".   "Regina says.  "Goodbye Cora. Oh and by the way, thanks for remembering my birthday. Which was over 3 months ago".  And with that Regina slammed the door.  Regina turns around. Her nostrils are flaring and her eyes are closed. A moment later. She looks at me and she's scary calm. "I'm sorry my love, I wanted you to have a nice party and of course that had to get ruined by my past that I will never be free from. I'm so sorry Emma".  She walks over and gives me a kiss. Then she walks into the living room. I look at Zelena and I think she's as lost as I am about the way Regina's acting right now. We follow her into the living room and Regina looks at our party guests and apologizes for the interruption. "Ruby could you please start playing some music. Let's have some fun. After all we are here to celebrate Emma's birthday".  Regina looks at me, smiles then she kisses me. The last hour of the party was so incredibly uncomfortable. I never finished opening my gifts and then not long after everyone left. I feel so bad. Regina tried so hard to make this a wonderful party for me but her mother had to show up and ruin it. I'm sure it made all our guests so uncomfortable. I wish she didn't have to deal with this. Having no parents is not as bad as having a parent that treats you with so much disrespect like Cora has done to Regina and even Zelena.
The party was finally over and after everyone left, Regina, Zelena and I started to clean up and put all the leftover food away. Good thing we have a refrigerator in the garage because there was a lot of leftovers. Most of it we had to freeze. Once everything was finally done it was almost 1 in the morning and I was absolutely exhausted because I worked all day and Zelena already went to bed. Regina and I decided to just go upstairs to wash up and change and go to bed.  We gave each other a kiss then snuggled together. After a few minutes of laying together I hear sniffles. "Baby are you ok?"  I ask. I get no response so I just hold her tighter. "Baby please tell me what you are feeling right now. I just want to help you if I can. Please babe. Let it out".  In my arms she shakes her head no. I move away from her and sit up against the headboard. I turn on the light on my nightstand and ask Regina to sit up. She was hesitant but she did with a face full of streaked tears. "Baby why are you crying?  This hasn't even been the worst party I've ever had. I know you wanted the day to be perfect but sometimes life doesn't turn out that way and we just gotta go with it babe.  I'm fine. Please tell me your ok too". I smile at Regina and give her a kiss. When she does finally start to speak, her words are so soft spoken that I almost didn't hear them. "Emma, maybe you are right. Maybe we don't belong together".   She takes a few breaths before she continues. "I can't tell you how much I do love you. I would give my life for you but you know how broken I am. You know how my mother has always treated me and you've been through similar situations so I know you can understand".  I have no idea whats happening right now. Does she love me? Is she breaking up with me?  I have no fucking idea so I just let her speak.  "It hurts me to say this but maybe we should take a break. Maybe you should go back to Granny's for a little while till I sort out a few things".  I look at her and she has no expression on her face. I leap out of bed and pace the bedroom.  "Regina do you remember what you said to me when you brought me back from Granny's a few months ago when I was scared that you'd get in trouble, so I was like let's give it more time?  You said if I walk out that door don't plan on coming back. Is that what your asking me to do right now?"   "You can come back whenever you want. I want you to come back. I love you".  "But your kicking me out. That's great.  Thanks for that Regina". I leap out of bed and start to gather my clothes in my duffle bags. "I can't believe your doing this to me Regina. You know how hard it was the first time I had to leave here".  I'm just about finished getting my clothes. I don't care about anything else.  After I get my clothes together I get dressed and put my boots on. "Emma I'm sorry. Let's talk some more".  I grab my bags and walk to the bedroom door as Regina calls out. "Emma wait".  I turn around. "Wait for what Regina your giving up on me, on us". I open the door and it's hard to walk out. I turn around again and look at Regina and said. "You know what Regina? I'm not giving up and I'm also not leaving this house. You want me to leave so bad call the Sheriff.  You want time I'll give you time but I won't give up. I'm staying in the other guest room. So you take all the time you need and you think long and hard about what you want. Good night Regina. Thanks again for the party". I walk out the door and slam it shut. I go to the guest room and toss my bags on the floor and lay on the bed. It's not even my real birthday and my day sucked. Thanks life. I shut off the lights and stare into the darkness.