chapter 22

The glass felt cold against her skin

The glass felt cold against her skin. Ah ro lazily rested her head against the window staring out at the passing buildings. The girl was enraged. She could not believe that people she didn't even know had the audacity to make life changing decisions for her.

Taeil was currently driving himself, Sola, Jisung, and Ah ro to the orphanage. He looked back through the rearview mirror every couple seconds at Ah ro who had refused to speak or eat ever since they broke the news to her. Taeil sighed deeply, not sure himself what he was getting himself into. Sola looked over at her soulmate with a small smile. She could read his emotions like a book. Reaching over to squeeze his hand, she passed him a reassuring smile.

Soon the orphanage came into view. Taeil parked the car in front of the orphanage and looked back at Ah ro.

"It's for your own good Ah ro. One day you'll understand." Ah ro refused to make eye contact with him, instead she threw open the car door and stepped out. She marched towards the orphanage angrily. The other three followed behind her.

As always the front courtyard was filled with loud children running around. Ah ro's heart swelled at the familiar sight. Usually she'd be annoyed with the neverending noise, but today was different. As soon as she was recognized, she was tackled by the children. Some mere toddlers and others were in high school like Ah ro.

"What happened to you?" An older boy asked in worry.

"It is a long story." Ah ro mumbled, she wasn't sure what she was allowed to say and what she wasn't so she decided it was best not to tell them much about the situation in case the monsters behind her would hurt the kids.

Pushing past the crowd, Halmeoni rushed towards Ah ro. Ah ro held a special place in her heart and having her not return like that worried her to her core. The older lady couldn't help the tears as she embraced the girl. Ah ro was dry of tears. She felt too numb to feel anything. She barely managed to return the hug, before she was bombarded by other workers.

After the tearful reunion, their attention was drawn to the three strangers standing at a distance.

Taeil, upon noticing the shift of attention, stepped forward with a slight bow. Sola followed suit. Jisung stood behind them awkwardly. Halmeoni led the three of them into her office. Ah ro didn't go with them. She decided to make the most of whatever time she had at the place that raised her.

"I cannot thank you enough for saving my Ah ro." Halmeoni exclaimed. She reached forward and grasped Taeil's and Sola's hands in her own.

Jisung stood leaning against the wall and staring out of the window that covered the whole side of the small office. His gaze was drawn to Ah ro who was now playing with the children downstairs. Her face held a smile, but Jisung knew it was fake. He tore his gaze away as Taeil began to explain to the older lady.

"I am Taeil and this is my wife Sola," Taeil paused looking over at Sola, who nodded at him. "I'm a police officer." Taeil pulled out his fake documents and slid them towards the naive lady.
"Ah ro's life is in danger. She was kidnapped by a very dangerous gang." The lady clutched her chest in fear. She was afraid for the poor girl's life. 

Sola picked up for Taeil, "After rescuing her, Taeil brought her to our house. We think it is best for her to move in with us permanently for her own safety. I know we aren't that old, but we would like to adopt Ah ro into our family." Sola knew it was wrong to lie, but it was also wrong for her to sit back while an innocent girl's life was in danger. Plus it wasn't a full lie. It was half a lie.

Halmeoni let out a shaky breath, "I- I don't know what to say."

"I understand it is difficult, but it is for Ah ro's own good. We all want the best for her."

"But why do you want to help her so much? You don't even know her." Halmeoni was starting to question the people in front of her. It didn't make sense for two strangers to want to adopt someone when it had no personal gain for them.

Taeil was starting to grow frustrated, but Sola placed her arm on his leg and tried to calm him down.

"Let me ask Ah ro what she thinks." The lady finally concluded. She pressed the call button and asked for someone to bring to Ah ro to the office.

Taeil began to worry. Ah ro could refuse and then what? He knew they would have to take her by force and he didn't want to have any casualties today, but if it came down to it. He would do what he had to do. Ah ro entered the room looking sullen.

"Would the three of you step outside for a couple minutes so I can properly explain this to her." Taeil slowly stood up and began to walk out. Sola followed him out. Jisung pushed himself off the wall and walked towards the door past Ah ro.

Pausing for maybe half a second in front of her, he lifted the hem of his shirt just enough to reveal the black metal stuffed into his pants.

Ah ro's eyes widened at the sight of the gun. Pushing down her fear and tears and sat down in front of Halmeoni just as the door shut.

Sola began to pace around.

"Guys maybe we should have just told the truth."

 Halmeoni held Ah ro's hands in her own as she explained what happened and what she was told

Halmeoni held Ah ro's hands in her own as she explained what happened and what she was told. Ah ro sat with her eyes staring at their hands. As much as she didn't want to go she didn't want to be responsible for the person she loves the most in the world getting hurt.

"To be honest, the past 24 hours I spent with them, I was the happiest I have ever been." Ah ro couldn't get herself to look into her eyes.

"Are you sure?" Halmeoni pressed on. When Ah ro nodded she sighed. "I am happy for you then Ah ro. I always prayed you would get adopted into a nice family that loves you." With that she pressed the call button and asked for the others to be brought in.

"We can move on with this adoption process."

Hi guys! I know adoption doesn't work like this and that the process is long and super hard, but I wanted to shorten it so that it wasn't dragged on for the purpose of the plot.

Adoption is such a beautiful thing :)

I hope you liked it <3

xoxo