Chapter 33 | No where left to turn

part two of the vitiate finale!

Just as I had known him. Brooks was sitting there on the phone, shouting in another language probably about something that had gone incredibly wrong; I didn't know the context of exactly what, but I knew all of the important measures. Business stuff as usual.

You could take a man completely out of his territory, but regardless if he was in the wolf's den. The man was going to work. And do what he can to appease the family, obviously not blood related.

But what do I know? I haven't encountered the elites yet, only being around certain forms of royalty when it comes to this business, and Brooks was the highest in the monarchy for me. Next in line had been Andrew.

Zayn was a loner when it came to his stuff, breaking the blood oath and honor that had made him an infamous associate to the family, when he wasn't even Italian. I had known one thing. Zayn wanted all that Brooks worked for, he wanted to be next in line.

Obviously there is more than just illegal underground matches for money, taking the lives of people that's done wrong to him. It was deeper than that, it was all about the control and many of them fought to have pleasure of being the highest of rankings.

It's all about power, illgeal money and being the highest ranking group no one would dare to fuck with, they all had wanted that. All this time I had spent with them, I never knew the deals of what it takes to being a boss. Zayn did a lot of work.

Yet Brooks? He is the work.

As much as I hated to admit it, he was a great man to do the work. Everyone feared him, only very little had courage to go against him, which is what made Zayn also highly adored.

But with that adoration, came hatred as well. A lot of stuff that had to be planned in order to survive another day, many wanted to be like him or at least take him out to replace him. The both of them had a lot to lose, and a lot to gain by doing any of this. It's what I had realized.

Zayn is far more sane than Brooks, which is ideal to me. But I can't help but to think, they're each other's match, a lot more than I had bargained for, the both of them could work good together if they hadn't allowed people to come between their partnership, and if Brooks was fair.

"You do what you can in order to give me, what the FUCK I need." I suddenly heard Brooks switch to English. "And do the deed, ASAP. Otherwise all of that acid in my Minnesota space will be sizzling with your wife's fucking corpse." Brooks hangs up the phone, before tossing it aside so hard that I'm pretty sure it cracked against the desk.

He knew I was here to see him. But didn't continue to make a move towards me, not out of fear of being around his own daughter. It was due to the alliance. I stand out of his way. He stands out of mine, and Zayn won't break the temporary alliance to target with him, Brooks won't have his people go after Zayn and his. This space apart was keeping a war from happening; Everyone's already swimming on thin ice.