Chapter 39 | Light at the end.

My eyes slowly opened as I looked around, seeing nothing but a bright white light shining down

My eyes slowly opened as I looked around, seeing nothing but a bright white light shining down. I groaned before coughing deeply, closing my eyes once again. Until I heard the sound of sniffling, looking up and seeing my mother sitting in a chair. Watching me with a soft smile as I watch her.

The last time I really saw her cry this hard was the day I woke up exactly like this, the sound of her deep sobs waking me up. At first I thought she had been crying over the fact I was hurt but sadly, the truth came out as I found out that I lost both my sister and father in the car accident.

Nothing remained the same after that. Ever since then I vowed to never be in this predicament, and making sure that I did everything right in order to keep something like that awful memory from happening again. But the world had a way of doing completely horrible things, like creating a scenario that was identical to the one I dreaded for many years. The one that always haunts me.

Even if Carly was alive, there was a time when I believed that she wasn't here anymore. And that scared me knowing that someone could be gone just in an instance, one minute they're here and the next thing you know is... they're gone. Nothing but a body there, nothing inside of that body of what made you love them in the first place. You had to accept the fact that the person was gone.

And I've dealt with that pain before, knowing what it was like to not have the person you used to love anymore. The idea completely made me scared for others around me, and now that my sister is back. Part of my nightmare was gone, but doesn't mean that it was gone. It's still there.

I could feel my eyes fill with tears before they slid down my face, breathing heavily as the heart monitor started to beep uncontrollably, alerting the person and I in the room that my pulse was going ridiculously fast. My mom looks up at the monitor in fear, before glancing down and seeing me stare at her. She quickly stops the machine, turning it off just before my nurses rush inside.

She moves closer to my bedside, looking me in the eyes before wiping at her tearstained face with a crumpled piece of tissue. Grasping a hold of my hand, making sure to squeeze it as softly as she could, but making sure that I could feel the pressure of it. I closed my eyes as tears fell.

"Mom?" The sound of my voice raspy, completely shot now as I tried speaking,"What's going on?" I asked her as best as I could, terrified of the outcome the full answer could give me.

The look on her face made me nervous for plenty of reasons, she had a serious habit of making me the blame just like the past. And that was the biggest worry of mine, everyone blaming the death of the others on me when I attempted to do what was right. Bianca's death was on me.

I purposely took a life from this world, and I feared that something like that wouldn't just go without payment. Death was a greedy spirit. And when he took one life, somehow another was shortly after it. He wouldn't just take one soul without gaining another, no matter if it was bad or good. The grim reaper didn't care about the person, he just craved and craved until he got them.