Broken Promises

I miss you dad.
-Rain

RAIN POV

His smile, it was heart warming something about this man was very different. The predatory stance,the chaos in his eyes and the tattoos made him mysterious. A mystery I was craving to solve but I knew the deeper I will go the difficult it would be to come out. I know he was hiding something but so was I. We weren't as pole apart as we looked. We shared similarities apart from our past, it was the love we had for Amber.

I was sitting on a stool telling Damien how to wash Amber's hair. I was already dressed up so I couldn't get wet. I don't understand how he was making such a simple task look so difficult. But as he stated he wanted to do it perfectly. I also know we will definitely be late but Damien deserved it. He deserved to cherish this moment.

"What should I do now?", Damien asked me as he pressed in some strawberry flavoured shampoo in his huge palm.

I looked at Amber to see she was playing with the pink bubbles in the jacuzzi. She was paying no attention to what was happening around.

"Her hair are wet?", I asked Damien and he nodded his head in affirmation.

"Slowly rub the shampoo on her hair just like you do to yours and then massage her scalp.", I stated and Damien started doing as I said.

But mid way Amber started moving her head making it difficult for Damien to put the shampoo.

"Don't move princess. Otherwise the shampoo will get in your eyes and then your eyes will start itching or worst burning.", Damien murmured to Amber but she didn't listen. She continued moving her head as if she was singing a song in her mind and doing a head dance.

"Amber. Don't move baby or no ice cream.", I stated and immediately she stopped moving her head. Damien sighed in relief and continued.

This moment as I looked at them. The love and adoration in Damien's eye made my heart clench. I couldn't stop myself from thinking about my dad. My anchor, my superhero and most importantly my best friend.

I sat on the bench in the park. The sun was about to set and the weather was getting chilly. Not to mention my fear of darkness. I could never tolerate darkness so I even have merry lights that I turned on before going to sleep.

My right knee was aching and I was sure that it was bleeding too but I didn't look at it. The more I will look the more painful it will become.

Big fat tears were rolling down my cheeks. I wasn't crying because I was hurt. Okay maybe partially but the main reason was the loneliness and pain I felt at my heart.

I haven't lost in the game and left like a loser. No this wasn't the case because I always lost in any to everything except for academics. If I should have felt like a loser then it should have been better because I could try again.

I felt like a victim.

I looked around the park to find the kids were already gone. But I could imagine then standing in front of me and making mockery out of me.

"Rain!", I heard a voice and I immediately recognized it. There was warmth in that voice. The softness and worry in that voice made it distinctive.

Dad

I didn't look up. I kept my head low and kept on crying. I knew if I try to say a word, a sob would leave my mouth. I never hated to cry. Dad always say that those who cry are very brave because they have the capability of carrying their heart on there sleeves, all raw and vulnerable and all can't do that.